Default Dual Shore Power hook up question

Some shore power connections are labelled. Look for one labelled 'air
conditioning' and disconnect that one. A good percentage of the time the
refrigerator, freezer or icemaker won't be on the same circuit as the A/C.
If you're inclined to check it'd certainly be polite to avoid disconnecting
the one that lets food in the fridge to go rotten. But most units are
designed to run both off AC and 12v and there's no way to tell which is
being used. So it won't do a lot of good to disconnect one of the lines and
then look in the fridge as it'll cut over from AC to 12v and keep right on
running. Wearing down the battery along the way, of course and then you're
putting the bilge pump operations at risk.

If it's got a label I'd just disconnect the one for the AC. I'm not sure
I'd go leaving notes about it.

-Bill Kearney

DSK DSK is offline

The power boat culture is not like the sailboat society. They can rock
your
sailboat with a big wake and wave their hands at you with a smile

Bill Kearney wrote:
Or just blindly tack directly in front of another vessel and then whine
about "right of way" having not taken at least the slightest look around
first.

Why attribute "tacking in front of another vessel" to
blindness? Could it be a windshift, shoaling water, engaged
in racing?

If you had a clue, you wouldn't think that sailboats "tack
blindly" or at random, much less think they were under any
obligation to keep clear of motor vessels.

There's enough idiocy around without the stereotypes, no?

Then why be such an idiot? You only perpetuate the
stereotype of motorboaters.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

.. .

Bill Kearney wrote:
Or just blindly tack directly in front of another vessel and then whine
about "right of way" having not taken at least the slightest look around
first.

Why attribute "tacking in front of another vessel" to blindness? Could it
be a windshift, shoaling water, engaged in racing?

Neither windshift or racing afford a sailboat any special privleges under
the rules.

If you had a clue, you wouldn't think that sailboats "tack blindly" or at
random, much less think they were under any obligation to keep clear of
motor vessels.

Many sailors think they always have "right-of-way" over powerboats. The
rules DO discuss a few situations where sailboats are the Stand On Vessel.
While these few cases are probably the most common situations most people
deal with on a day-to-basis - mostly crossing --- the situations in the
rules where a sailboat may be the Give Way vessel are more numerous. Many
sailors seem to operate onder the "Sail over Power" concept that does not (I
don't think ever did) exist. Sailboats are frequently under obligation to
stay clear of motor vessels.

What is it that you disagree with? Do you know the rules???

Sail boats DO NOT have right of way over anything. Do you think a sailboat
is other than the giveway vessle when overtaking a powerboat (maybe just
ideling along)? Try actually reading the rules and you will see that there
are many other situations where sailboats must giveway to power vessels.

FWIW -- I have over 50 years of sail experience and 10 years of power
experience. I have held 100ton ofshore masters license for 10 years.

I have no need to whine, I know the rules.

"Gerald" wrote in message
[...]

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
And mostly incorrect.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Gerald" wrote in message
Many sailors think they always have "right-of-way" over

powerboats. The
rules DO discuss a few situations where sailboats are the

Stand On Vessel.
While these few cases are probably the most common

situations most people
deal with on a day-to-basis - mostly crossing --- the

situations in the
rules where a sailboat may be the Give Way vessel are more

numerous. Many
sailors seem to operate onder the "Sail over Power"

concept that does not (I
don't think ever did) exist. Sailboats are frequently

under obligation to
stay clear of motor vessels.

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 07:03:36 -0400, "Gerald"
wrote:

I have no need to whine, I know the rules.

Pay no attention to Scotty. He seems to have OD'd on knee jerk
reactions. I'm sure we'll meet up with him some day after he tacks in
front of a powerboat in a narrow channel while he's motor sailing.

Why attribute "tacking in front of another vessel" to
blindness? Could it be a windshift, shoaling water, engaged
in racing?

Ok, quote the rules, from the federal regs, that clearly state those reasons
justify making a sudden turn into the path of another vessel, without giving
any sort of audible sign.

If you had a clue, you wouldn't think that sailboats "tack
blindly" or at random, much less think they were under any
obligation to keep clear of motor vessels.

Why is it ragbaggers always want to jump in assuming they somehow know
better? Just as often they're completely incorrect, not only about the
rules but also the level of knowledge about the other people posting.

There's enough idiocy around without the stereotypes, no?

Then why be such an idiot? You only perpetuate the
stereotype of motorboaters.

You often nothing here other than insults, my how typical.

"Wayne.B" wrote

I have no need to know the rules.

Pay no attention to Scotty. He seems to have OD'd on knee

jerk
reactions. I'm sure we'll meet up with him some day

and wake him.