Default Houseboat-like Catamarans

Has anyone noticed that the currently available, and top selling
models of catamarans look like big fat square chunks of ugly
fiberglass with excessive freeboard? They probably perform well, but
they sure don't look like it.

You would think that there would be a market for a sleeker, lower
profile, racier cruising model with decent accomodations, sans the
houseboat-like layouts and dual steering stations that drive prices
up.

Heck, I was on one the other day that was only 37 feet long and it had
three heads and four "staterooms", and a full-size refrigerator! Yet,
its tanks could only hold 40 gallons of water and 60 gallons of fuel.
What sort of funky "cruising" boat is that?

I've also noticed that the people who drive these houseboats are the
lousiest and most dangerous "sailors" around. They may be safe from
sinkng, but others sure aren't.

Anyone know of a good, sleek model out there in production? Something
appropraite for the cruising couple with just one head?

Vallie wrote:

Anyone know of a good, sleek model out there in production? Something
appropraite for the cruising couple with just one head?

Most production boats are marketed with half-wits in mind, so you
should have no trouble finding something appropriate for a couple with
one head.

On 20 Jul 2006 00:47:47 -0700, "John" wrote:

Vallie wrote:

Anyone know of a good, sleek model out there in production? Something
appropraite for the cruising couple with just one head?

Most production boats are marketed with half-wits in mind, so you
should have no trouble finding something appropriate for a couple with
one head.

What a completely useless and meaningless response. My first post to
this group and I have to be greeted by a wise ass.

**** you.

Vallie wrote:

Anyone know of a good, sleek model out there in production? Something
appropraite for the cruising couple with just one head?

Most production boats are marketed with half-wits in mind, so you
should have no trouble finding something appropriate for a couple with
one head.

What a completely useless and meaningless response. My first post to
this group and I have to be greeted by a wise ass.

**** you.

I am not altogether sure what kind of boat you are talking about in
your original post. I looked at the specs for a 42 foot Africat power
cruising cat and found that she carries 630 gallons of fuel and 210
gallons of water. The NauticBlue 464, another South African design,
carries 370 and 175 gallons, respectively. The numbers you cited seem
low, perhaps there was a typo during editting of whatever you were
reading.

John

Vallie wrote:

[...]

I just checked the manufacturer's website for the PDQ 34' power cat, a
boat that I have lusted for, and the numbers were 184 gallons of fuel
and 80 gallons of water. I beginning to suspect metric conversion
errors during editting.

best to all . . .

John

To the OP, I have the same dilemma... I went through all the half
million dollar offerings, the wine coolers, the multiple
airconditioners, boats that require two 50 amp cords to power it up at
the dock, boats that get 0.75 MPG, boats that hold about 24 hours worth
of water and sewage, etc... Finally decided to build my own...

"A funny thing happened on the way to the forum", said Caesar...
Same thing happened to me on the way to building... My 38 foot power
cat became a 40 foot power cat sitting on 50 foot hulls... It still
has one master stateroom... A sitting area that curtains off as a
stateroom for family and a couple of single bunks down in the hulls...
It will be fuel economical... It will be blue water capable.... It will
be independent of shore power... It will go a minimum of 2 weeks before
having to pump out (2 people)... It will have 3000+ mile range... It
will cost $200K to build, labor and materials... There is no wine
cooler, no crystal chandelier, no silk and wool rugs... No hot tub on
the foredeck... The pilot house is the sole nav and con station, i.e.
one suite of electronics and controls... It will have a large freezer
and cooler (top loading) chilled by holding plates run off a compressor
on the main engine... It will have a huge battery bank with multiple
solar panels... All lighting inside the boat will be LED for
efficiency... The airconditioner will be a 12 volt, high efficiency
unit... And so on... You can have it your way...

If 'sleek' is your criteria, then I suggest you contact John
Shuttleworth... Sleek is his middle name...

denny

Vallie wrote:
Anyone know of a good, sleek model out there in production? Something
appropraite for the cruising couple with just one head?

Most production boats are marketed with half-wits in mind, so you
should have no trouble finding something appropriate for a couple with
one head.

What a completely useless and meaningless response. My first post to
this group and I have to be greeted by a wise ass.

**** you.

I thought that was pretty funny - obviously you have no sense of
humour, something that is needed for cruising in general and catamaran
ownership in particular.

Almost all catamarans target the charter business, meaning extra
staterooms, heads, and saloons big enough for 3 or 4 couples to lounge
in. This also leads to 44 feet as a target size, and prices in $600K+
range. At this size, they want a high bridge deck clearance and the
large saloon means standing headroom throughout and this leads to boxy
shape and high freeboard.

There are a few that are different. One is my boat, PDQ 36. This was
never intended for large charter fleets (thought there are a number in
charter) and almost all are one head, two stateroom with a third owner
option room (mine has a freezer and a kid's bunk - others have an
office, workshop, etc.). The saloon only has headroom at the
passthrough, otherwise it slopes downward to give a sleek look with
sitting headroom. Tankage is 80 gallons water, 55 fuel.

It is no longer in production because they could make a lot more money
building power cats and the large "charter style but really owner
targeted" 44 footer. However, there are a few on the market,
including a 2002. Most were built to be powered by 9.9 hp outboards,
which is fine for getting around; some have twin Yanmar 2GM20's which
might be better if you're doing long distance powering.

Vallie wrote:

What a completely useless and meaningless response. My first post to
this group and I have to be greeted by a wise ass.

Since your second post to the group was an insulting broadside (
Electric windlass) slamming users of autopilots,electric windlasses,
and chartplotters and touting your superiour ways, I thought you could
'take it' as well as 'dish it out'.
Obviously, this isn't the case.
Welcome to the newsgroup.
John

Vallie wrote:

Anyone know of a good, sleek model out there in production? Something
appropraite for the cruising couple with just one head?

Most production boats are marketed with half-wits in mind, so you
should have no trouble finding something appropriate for a couple with
one head.

What a completely useless and meaningless response. My first post to
this group and I have to be greeted by a wise ass.

**** you.

Well, I thought it was pretty funny... it was your phraseology not his.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Vallie wrote:

Anyone know of a good, sleek model out there in production? Something
appropraite for the cruising couple with just one head?

Most production boats are marketed with half-wits in mind, so you
should have no trouble finding something appropriate for a couple with
one head.

What a completely useless and meaningless response. My first post to
this group and I have to be greeted by a wise ass.

**** you.

I thought it was pretty funny myself. Light'n up and perhaps you'll
learn something.

Others will be along shortly to answer your question.