Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Houseboat-like Catamarans

Vallie wrote:
On 20 Jul 2006 00:47:47 -0700, "John" wrote:
Vallie wrote:
Anyone know of a good, sleek model out there in production? Something
appropraite for the cruising couple with just one head?

Most production boats are marketed with half-wits in mind, so you
should have no trouble finding something appropriate for a couple with
one head.

What a completely useless and meaningless response. My first post to
this group and I have to be greeted by a wise ass.

**** you.

I thought that was pretty funny - obviously you have no sense of
humour, something that is needed for cruising in general and catamaran
ownership in particular.

Almost all catamarans target the charter business, meaning extra
staterooms, heads, and saloons big enough for 3 or 4 couples to lounge
in. This also leads to 44 feet as a target size, and prices in $600K+
range. At this size, they want a high bridge deck clearance and the
large saloon means standing headroom throughout and this leads to boxy
shape and high freeboard.

There are a few that are different. One is my boat, PDQ 36. This was
never intended for large charter fleets (thought there are a number in
charter) and almost all are one head, two stateroom with a third owner
option room (mine has a freezer and a kid's bunk - others have an
office, workshop, etc.). The saloon only has headroom at the
passthrough, otherwise it slopes downward to give a sleek look with
sitting headroom. Tankage is 80 gallons water, 55 fuel.

It is no longer in production because they could make a lot more money
building power cats and the large "charter style but really owner
targeted" 44 footer. However, there are a few on the market,
including a 2002. Most were built to be powered by 9.9 hp outboards,
which is fine for getting around; some have twin Yanmar 2GM20's which
might be better if you're doing long distance powering.