Default Copper ring report

Last spring I took up a bit too soon on the new through hull nut for
my Knotlog sensor and set it a bit below the surface of the hull.
Attempting to make lemonade out of lemons and kill another bird with
the same stone while excelling at creative writing by avoiding trite
sayings, I cut a ring of copper flashing and epoxied it to the through
hull surface thus:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Strider0604.htm#Copper

I took the sensor out for the first time today to check it and there
is not a hint of slime or growth on it. Last year it had small mussels
with discernable shells growing on it by August.

I think this really works. I wonder if there is some way to copper
sheath a fiberglass hull?

I know taking it out more often and putting it in a fresh water with a
bit of bleach is another approach but mine was cleverly installed so
that the fastest swap with the blank plug still results in a jet of
salt water all over the cabin sole and some drawer hardware. It's
enough of a clean up that I'd like to not do it more than a couple
times a season.

--

Roger Long

I remember reading of a company that installed some sort of copper foil to
the hull, but that was a few years ago. It wa expensive IIRC, but did last a
long time.

I have wondered about fitting some sheet copper to the bottom of the keel,
because for some strange reason, bottom paint never seems to last as long
there.

"Roger Long" wrote in message

I think this really works. I wonder if there is some way to copper sheath
a fiberglass hull?

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 21:39:36 -0400, "Garland Gray II"
wrote:

I have wondered about fitting some sheet copper to the bottom of the keel,
because for some strange reason, bottom paint never seems to last as long
there.

You have to stop using the keel to locate the bottom. :-)

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 00:59:54 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

[...]

Copper bottoms were fitted to Royal Navy (wooden) ships.

Then a scientist came up with an electrolytic method to stop the
copper eroding. The Navy loved it.
For a few months.
They found that cathodic protection saved the copper, but allowed the
marine growth to come back with a bang!

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Roger Long writes:

I wonder if there is some way to copper sheath a fiberglass hull?

Sure. Bottom paint.

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Roger Long writes:

I wonder if there is some way to copper sheath a fiberglass hull?

Sure. Bottom paint.

I think he mean International Hard Racing Copper Antifouling.

Are we still allowed to use it? In fact is copper-based antifouling not
banned, along with everything else? Over here TBT (TriButylTin) was banned
for pleasure craft years ago, and I seem to remember copper-based paint was
also banned, but could be mistaken.

Dennis.

"Roger Long" wrote in news:eKCsg.81212$3B.56316
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

I think this really works. I wonder if there is some way to copper
sheath a fiberglass hull?

And, if we sheath the whole thing, we'll have enough electrolysis current
to charge the batteries!.....(c;

On 10 Jul 2006 23:18:06 -0700, wrote:

Hello Wayne, Do you still have any info on the Islander Bahama 24?

Not really.

What kind of information are you looking for?

Wayne.B wrote:
On 10 Jul 2006 23:18:06 -0700, wrote:

Hello Wayne, Do you still have any info on the Islander Bahama 24?

Not really.

What kind of information are you looking for?

Anything you might have or know about the boat.

Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM
REQ: Crack for Maxsea V10 patrice Tall Ships 1 August 2nd 03 01:53 AM