DSK

Default Single handed ,, question about approaching a mooring

Lester Evans wrote:
Going out single this weekend. Not worried about leaving and sailing
etc .. it is the coming back in that has me in butterflies.

I was disappointed in most of the suggestions here. Oce you
get the hang of it, no butteflies.

This is a 30' sailboat. Not huge, but not small.

How do you approach a mooring for pick up? The boat has a full keel
so she is heavy. The mooring is in a tight area. I want to do a one
time pick up .. no going around and trying again.

This is not a good set-up, but it's a bit late to convince
you to get a different boat or move to a less-crowded
geographic region

My thought.. get the boat going in the right direction. Once I am
getting close, put her in neutral. Try some coasting. See if I can
coast up to the mooring, leaving the mooring ball on the starboard
side ( this way, if I must go on I can turn to the port which is
where the escape route is,, the deep water ).

An important part of making this maneuver a success is to
*know* what you're minimum steerage way is, and which way
prop walk will put the bow. Practice the basic maeuver in
open water, near something with will serve as a reference
point (a channel marker or such). Develop confidence that
you can put the boat right were you want it, then the close
quarters will not seem so tight.

Anyway,,, I will have my mooring pick up stick at the ready. Once I
grab the line, get the line on deck and cleated..

Here is where I saw a total lack of useful suggestions.

Proper preparation prevents ****-poor performance!

Why fumble about trying to scoop up your mooring with a boat
hook? Why not put the mooring line on a vertical pole...
like a man-overboard pole only with the mooring line
attached? That would be quick & certain.

Needless to say, some attention to the deck layout is in
order. The first step in such a maneuver, which almost
everybody skips including myself half the time, is to CLEAR
THE DECKS FOR ACTION (just like in the Hornblower novels).
Get all the loose irreleveant "stuff" out of the way, and
you don't have to worry about tripping over it.

One thing I used to do when singlehanding a very
inappropriate boat was to stop while out in open water,
clear the decks, and lay out the lines. To pick up a
mooring, I might take a line from the bow cleat, outboard of
all, and put it aft where I could reach it easily from the
helm. Then all I need to do is scoop up the mooring, make it
fast to the line from forward, bump it into reverse for a
moment to back clear, and we're secure. I can get the
mooring line shortened up & secure later.

I thought that I might ask for help if there is a friendly boater
around.

That's a great idea. Prefereably somebody who can bring
along some lunch.

Stephen Trapani wrote:
I suggest putting it in neutral far from the buoy and practice coming to
a stop a few times on your actual approach line, keeping the boat in
control. If it starts to drift, engage forward and keep it straight (you
didn't mention if there was a current but if there is, go against it).

This is a great way to gauge your drift & set, as you
approach. A necessary part of successful mooring or docking
when there is wind and/or current.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

BF

Snip:

Any thoughts?

Thanks,,

In addition to what everyone's said.

I like to cleat off a longish line, bring it back to the boat hook, around
all. When you have the eye on the hook, simply pass the line through and
hang onto it. This solves Roger's problem of the slimy rope and also gives a
two to one advantage plus a bonus of friction. Even a 30 footers in wind and
current can create quite a tug and any advantage is good.

BF

Roger Long

"DSK" wrote

Why fumble about trying to scoop up your mooring with a boat hook?
Why not put the mooring line on a vertical pole... like a
man-overboard pole only with the mooring line attached? That would
be quick & certain.

This is an excellent suggestion. There is a lot you can do to make
your own mooring easier to pick up. A light pick up rope on a long
pole will keep it in sight and you can quickly make fast with the
light rope that will keep things under control until you can bring the
heavy pendant on board.

While cruising however, you will encounter lots of poorly set up
mooring that may be in equally obstructed areas and you will want to
be competent at picking them up.

Someone suggested practicing on a channel marker. That's the dumbest
idea I've heard in a long time. Those things are heavy and go way
down in the water. Hitting them is like hitting a piling. Take a
milk jug on a long light line with an anchor if you can't find
something else that is light and attached to the bottom.

Just like landing a plane, assuming that you will go around and having
a plan to do it is your best safety net. It may look like there is no
way to recover from a botched mooring pick up at your home mooring but
there must be. Spend some time figuring out exactly what you will do
if you miss or your crew drops the pendant. It's going to happen
someday. Practicing that maneuver is as important as practicing the
pickup.

--

Roger Long

Harlan Lachman

In article KR_og.2315$TC1.1920@trndny08,
"Lester Evans" wrote:

[...]

The boat is at a dock now. I must move it to the mooring or $$$$$$.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,,

Lester, many interesting ideas.

I sail my J/100 (33', furling jib, fin keel) single handed a fair bit.
Here are my thoughts:

1. Invest in a tall mast pick up buoy
(http://www.mushroommooring.com/Pick_Up_Buoys.html) if you don't have
one. I use a short line with a bowline affixing one end to the buoy and
a snap shackle at the other end which I loop around the mooring's
eyesplice. When things start to go south (e.g., you start running over
your mooring), it gives you an extra few seconds, you don't have to bend
down (at my age and weight a blessing), nor do you have to futz with a
boat hook. You may thank me for this one.

2. Don't run is absolutely correct. Nothing good happens.

3. I loved the post about dead slow. Slow is good. It is the one thing I
sometimes botch, especially in a wind.

4. I think the idea of letting your boat drift on the mooring is
interesting. I don't do it on Lake Champlain. The wind here, even when
strong is too flukey and I have found it easier to head directly into
the wind (slowwwwwly) leave the mooring on my port side (the side
opposite my spinnaker pole, throw the boat into neutral before going
forward, grab the mast of my pick-up buoy forward of the beam if I can
(don't want my dingy line or anything to foul my rudder or sail drive)
and walk forward to the cleat.

5. I don't like butterflies when sailing. They belong in my wife's
garden (there is a reason I single hand), not on my boat. I recommend
picking your poison based on these posts and spending a day (in a not so
strong blow) picking up and dropping off your line at least ten times or
until you say, this is ridiculous.

Much joy and better weather.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?
Rosalie B.

DSK wrote:

Lester Evans wrote:
[...]

He said mooring pick up stick. I didn't think that meant a boat hook.
We have a snap shackle type thing on the end of a pole for picking up
moorings. Worth getting IMHO.

Needless to say, some attention to the deck layout is in
order. The first step in such a maneuver, which almost
everybody skips including myself half the time, is to CLEAR
THE DECKS FOR ACTION (just like in the Hornblower novels).
Get all the loose irreleveant "stuff" out of the way, and
you don't have to worry about tripping over it.

Absolutely

One thing I used to do when singlehanding a very
inappropriate boat was to stop while out in open water,
clear the decks, and lay out the lines. To pick up a
mooring, I might take a line from the bow cleat, outboard of
all, and put it aft where I could reach it easily from the
helm. Then all I need to do is scoop up the mooring, make it
fast to the line from forward, bump it into reverse for a
moment to back clear, and we're secure. I can get the
mooring line shortened up & secure later.

We always lay out the lines, even when coming in to a dock.
Surprising how many people do not do this until they are at the dock
and have no clue about where a line is. I've even seen a shrimp boat
throw the dockmaster a line which was not attached to anything at the
boat end.

Roger Long wrote:
While cruising however, you will encounter lots of poorly set up
mooring that may be in equally obstructed areas and you will want to
be competent at picking them up.

That's true. That's when the line run aft from your mooring
cleat comes in real handy. It's not "traditional" to pick up
moorings at the aft end of the boat, but if conditions make
that more practical and reliable, why not?

Someone suggested practicing on a channel marker. That's the dumbest
idea I've heard in a long time.

Well, I suggested practicing *near* a channel marker. Not
the same thing.

.... Those things are heavy and go way
down in the water. Hitting them is like hitting a piling. Take a
milk jug on a long light line with an anchor if you can't find
something else that is light and attached to the bottom.

That's a good idea for full-dress practice.

What I was suggesting was a follow-up to Stephen's
suggestion of practicing the maneuvers, to get an idea of
set & drift, along with minimum steerage & prop kick...
things that all too many boaters have no idea about. Without
something fixed in place, near enough to use as a reference,
you will not be able to gauge your boat's turning, stopping,
etc etc.

Just like landing a plane, assuming that you will go around and having
a plan to do it is your best safety net. It may look like there is no
way to recover from a botched mooring pick up at your home mooring but
there must be.

And if there isn't you'll suffer the consequence.

One of the things I like to do is ride around the mooring
field (carefully keeping the boat under full control)...
meet the neighbors, look for the best mooring, and see what
routes are open. A lot of people are in too much of a hurry
to do this.

... Spend some time figuring out exactly what you will do
if you miss or your crew drops the pendant. It's going to happen
someday. Practicing that maneuver is as important as practicing the
pickup.

Some years ago, very late in the season, a family member and
I cruised in his boat to Cuttyhunk. In fact it was so late
in the season that they were engaged in picking up the
moorings. We were one of three boats in the harbor (a good
reason to go in the off-season).

One morning, as I was sitting in the cockpit enjoying the
atmosphere & a cup of coffee, a smallish motor cruiser came
into the harber and began trying to pick up a mooring. The
people were not skilled, and they bumbled from one ball to
the next with a hapless crew on the bow stabbing almost at
random at the moorings. It didn't help that the helmsman
could not see under the bow very well, and the crew had such
a short boat hook that they had to almost fall in to reach
the water.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the harbor, a seaplane was
preparing to take off. They began their taxi run, then
applied throttle. The smallish cruiser zigged and zagged
obliviously from mooring ball to mooring ball, and crossed
right in front of the plane as the pontoons began to lift.

I didn't even have time to call out, but my cousin stuck his
head out of the companionway just a few seconds later... the
plane missed the cruiser by perhaps six feet, visibly
startling (and scaring the pants off of) the helmsman. I
really thought we were going to see a flaming crash!

The small motor cruiser gave up and putt-putted out of the
harbor. So the moral of the story is, practice picking up
your mooring and you won't get dive-bombed.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Brian Whatcott

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 01:10:02 GMT, "Lester Evans"
wrote:

[...]

This question drew some very very helpful responses. I was pleased.
NEXT: How to winch up the mast, single handed?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
Roger Long

"Brian Whatcott" wrote

NEXT: How to winch up the mast, single handed?

Get a four part tackle like a boom vang with a cam cleat and a line
long enough for it to go all the way up the mast. Hoist it up with a
jib halyard; not one with an external block like a spinnaker halyard
unless you trust it with your life. Then pull yourself up. If the
cleat or your hands slip, you'll come down fast but still a lot slower
than on a single part. You'll also be able to squeeze the tackle to
stop if you screw up the belaying.

Once you price all the gear to do this, you'll realize you can have a
yard guy go up two or three times for the same amount. Let them do
it. They're lighter, younger, and more expendable.

--

Roger Long

Capt. JG

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote

The only thing I would add is to not run anywhere on the boat.

Good point. I consider "running" on a boat a brisk, controlled walk but
that wouldn't be clear in my post.

I figured... :-) I saw one guy do this single handed and he ambled. I think
he was thinking of stopping for a cigarette break or something on the way...
totally unhurried. It was fun to watch.

My boat falls off pretty fast with the fin keel and the windage of the
roller jib forward so bringing the buoy back very far can be awkward. I'm
either pulling against the friction on the side or trying to pull the bow
upwind to it. Getting the pendant briskly on board slack and hooked
quickly over the cleat works best for me. Most pendants in this part of
the world are short and heavy enough that not having the buoy right under
the bow means moving the boat with the pendant after you have the slimy,
barnacle encrusted thing in your hand. I find the risk of dropping or
losing it while trying to get it under the pulpit and hooked up with
strain on it greater than not finding the buoy in the right place when I
get to the bow with the boat hook.

The only place that mooring balls out here that I'm aware of for day use are
at Angel Island. There are no pendants, so you have to put your own on the
ball. Quite a hassle. I use a Happy Hooker. It's either that or you have to
be an acrobat or not have much freeboard. :-)

Several responders seemed to have missed the *singlehanded* word in the
original post.

Yeah... :-)

When you do have a crew member, a very helpful instruction to give is to
have them stand in the bow constantly pointing the boathook at the buoy.
That tells you where it is when it goes out of sight as well as letting
you track other factors more easily beforehand. Most people will take
their first stab when too far away so that's a good signal to goose up the
throttle for full reverse.

I made the mistake of having a very inexperienced crew member attempt to
hook one in another place. I told him specifically not to get the boat hook
inside any loop in the pendant, just grab the line itself. Of course, he put
it through a loop and when I couldn't hold the boat in one spot long enough
for him to sort it out, he had to drop the boat hook. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Larry

DSK wrote in news:7Ibpg.3296$Oc5.562
@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

That's a good idea for full-dress practice.

Sorta like my captain does, yelling, "MAN OVERBOARD!" as he jumps over the
side just to see how long it will take us to come about and pick him up,
again, usually when some cute honey is driving who hasn't a clue and one of
the "usual sailors" is in the head taking a crap in Peggie's plumbing.

I'm a sneaky *******, myself. I always watch him, carefully, to see if he
has stowed his wallet and cellphone out of his pants and changed into
clothes he doesn't care about (which is most of what he wears on the boat),
a sure sign that something's up....(c;

I stay out of the head if he doesn't have his wallet.....