posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Scotty

Default Seasickness

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message
Scotty wrote:

I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him

ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more

for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he

steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

SBV

Aren't you related to a Canuck now? Get some Gravol, best

stuff on the
planet, but you can't get in 'merica.

no, not yet, end of August...shudder

SV

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Martin Baxter

Scotty wrote:

SBV

Aren't you related to a Canuck now? Get some Gravol, best

stuff on the
planet, but you can't get in 'merica.

no, not yet, end of August...shudder

Stock up on moose liver!

Cheers
Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Don White

Martin Baxter wrote:
Scotty wrote:

I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

SBV

Aren't you related to a Canuck now? Get some Gravol, best stuff on the
planet, but you can't get in 'merica.

Cheers
Marty

Good old over the counter Gravol, or the 'no-name- versions of it.
This stuff makes me drowsy also.

Don White wrote:

Aren't you related to a Canuck now? Get some Gravol, best stuff on the
planet, but you can't get in 'merica.

Cheers
Marty

Good old over the counter Gravol, or the 'no-name- versions of it.
This stuff makes me drowsy also.

The packaging does carry that warning, I can't speak from personal
experience, so far I've not had a problem, (he says with fingers
crossed).

Cheers
Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Gogarty

Mythbusters did a piece recently on non-prescription (over the counter)
antidotes to seasickness. It included those wrist bands, various
concoctions and ginger. Only ginger worked. We always carry ginger root on
board as well as ginger beer (not ginger ale). The prescription drugs also
worked but left people drowsy or even spaced out.

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
FishinJC

Gogarty wrote:
Mythbusters did a piece recently on non-prescription (over the counter)
antidotes to seasickness. It included those wrist bands, various
concoctions and ginger. Only ginger worked. We always carry ginger root on
board as well as ginger beer (not ginger ale). The prescription drugs also
worked but left people drowsy or even spaced out.

On that same show they tested 2 people and 1 said that the drug that
worked best was the placebo (sugar pill). Of course when they tested
him, they told him that it was a new drug and he didn't get sick at
all. That tells me for some it is a mind game. If you feel relaxed
and believe it what you are taking will cure you, you will be fine.

I have horrible memories as a child, first time out far and getting
really sick. It stuck with me for awhile, until one day, someone I was
fishing with started to get sick and I was laughing (which is customary
on a fishing boat) and for some reason I haven't gotten sick since. I
don't know if seeing someone else get sick and laughing took my mind
off it long enough for me to forget my fear or what, but I do fine now
(of course I'll go out tomorrow and barf my brains out now that I made
this public).

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Larry

Gogarty wrote in
:

left people drowsy or even spaced out.

Hell, that describes 70% of the people on any dock...(c;

Martin Baxter wrote in :

Get some Gravol, best stuff on the
planet, but you can't get in 'merica.

Cheers
Marty

Great stuff.....unless you want to stay awake...

GRAVOL® Preparations
Carter Horner
Dimenhydrinate
Antiemetic - Antivertigo

Indications And Clinical Uses: Prevention or relief of motion sickness,
radiation sickness, postoperative vomiting, and drug induced nausea and
vomiting; it has also been used for the symptomatic relief of nausea and
vertigo due to Ménière's disease and other labyrinthine disturbances.

Contra-Indications: Glaucoma, chronic lung disease, difficulty in
urination due to prostatic hypertrophy. tag_WarningWarnings

Manufacturers' Warnings In Clinical States: As dimenhydrinate has a CNS
depressant effect, the concomitant use of alcohol should be avoided.

Occupational Hazards: Patients receiving dimenhydrinate should be
cautioned against operating automobiles or dangerous machinery because of
drowsiness associated with the drug. If drowsiness is excessive, dosage
should be reduced.

Adverse Reactions: Drowsiness may be experienced by some patients,
especially at high dosages. Dizziness may also occur. Symptoms of dry
mouth, lassitude, excitement (especially in children) and nausea have
been reported."
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Donal

"Scotty" wrote in message
I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

I'll add my opinion to all the rest.

Seasickness is 50% physical and 50% in the mind. It is triggered by
confusion between the signals from the eyes and ears(balance).

The treatment for the physical 50% is easy. Get Stugeron. Take *half* a
tablet one hour before setting sail. A whole tablet seems to cause
uncomfortable drowsiness.

The treatment for the "in the mind" side is also quite simple. Look at the
horizon .... this will synchronise the signals from the eyes and ears. On a
sailboat, this is easy. However, on a cruise ship this will be a bit more
difficult. If it is at all rough, then you should stay on the upper decks
where you can look at the horizon if your stomach begins to feel a bit
funny. After the first 24 hours the problem is likely to dissappear.

I can get seasick in a very short time. However, I have always managed to
prevent the decent into hell by getting onto deck quickly, and concentrating
on the horizon. If I get on deck quickly enough, I am fully recovered in
under a minute. I once took 20 minutes .... and it was touch and go for
most of it!!

Enjoy your (non-boating friend's) cruise.

Regards

Donal

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Capt. JG

--

I once puked coming through the companion way on my way to the side. Another
time, I got puked on when someone else should have stayed topside but

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com