posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Scotty

Default Seasickness

I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Don W

If you are talking about him going on a cruise
ship, then I'd tell him not to be concerned about
it. We've been on about 5 different cruises in up
to 35' seas, and those huge ships just don't move
around that much.

YMMV,

Don W.

Scotty wrote:

I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Don White

Scotty wrote:
I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

SBV

I'd start munching just before I left.
If he's on a big cruise ship, I doubt he's be feeling the same way he
would on a 33 foot sailboat with 5 foot swells on an aft quarter that
might make you pitch, yaw & roll.
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Frank Boettcher

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:43:54 -0400, "Scotty"
wrote:

I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

SBV

Ironically, yesterday I was looking up an old episode of Myth Busters
(Does pickup truck tail gate down increase mileage) and ran across
their session on sea sickness remedies. Ginger was the only thing
they tried that did work. Not sure if there is any benefit to taking
it early but I think it works even after you start to feal queasy.
Most use tablets with water.

Course if you're bloated with cookies when you go aboard......

No personal experience. Have never been sea sick, although slightly
queasy when a diesel leak put some raw diesel in the bilge.

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Scotty

I already told him that, but he still keeps talking about
seasickness. I'm worried he's going to 'talk himself into
it'. Thus, the ginger snaps might just help ease his mind,
more than his stomach.

SBV

"Don W" wrote in
message
.com...

"Don White" wrote in message
Scotty wrote:
I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him

ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more

for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he

steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

SBV

I'd start munching just before I left.
If he's on a big cruise ship, I doubt he's be feeling the

same way he
would on a 33 foot sailboat with 5 foot swells on an aft

quarter that
might make you pitch, yaw & roll.

He knows I have a 30' sailboat and asked me what I do about
it. I told him it never bothered me.....yet.

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Joe

Scotty wrote:

He knows I have a 30' sailboat and asked me what I do about
it. I told him it never bothered me.....yet this season.

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Scotty

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in

Ironically, yesterday I was looking up an old episode of

Myth Busters
(Does pickup truck tail gate down increase mileage) and

ran across
their session on sea sickness remedies. Ginger was the

only thing
they tried that did work. Not sure if there is any benefit

to taking
it early but I think it works even after you start to

feal queasy.
Most use tablets with water.

Course if you're bloated with cookies when you go

aboard......

And of course you need to drink milk with those cookies.

No personal experience. Have never been sea sick,

although slightly
queasy when a diesel leak put some raw diesel in the

bilge.

The only time I felt queasy was anchored in a storm, closed
up cabin, with an alcohol stove cooking spaghetti. Not a
good combination.

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Harlan Lachman

Scotty wrote:

I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him

ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more

for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he

steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

SBV

Scotty, if your friend wants to follow the old belts and suspenders
approach, or if like me he doesn't like ginger snaps, one of the pills
can work (I use bonine before), or one of the electric (relief band) or
non-electric pressure point bands.

Cruises are expensive. If your friend goes prepared, just not worrying
about things may be all that is needed.

Harlan

Harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

Scotty wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

Scotty wrote:

I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him

ginger is

a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more

for a

joke ). Should he start munching on these before he

steps

onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

SBV

I'd start munching just before I left.
If he's on a big cruise ship, I doubt he's be feeling the

same way he

would on a 33 foot sailboat with 5 foot swells on an aft

quarter that

might make you pitch, yaw & roll.

He knows I have a 30' sailboat and asked me what I do about
it. I told him it never bothered me.....yet.

SBV

Lucky you...if I don't drug-up, I upchuck.
Those little pea type pressure wrist bands don't cut it for me.