posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Peter

Default Seasickness

Maxprop wrote:
"Scotty" wrote in message
I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

SBV

Are ginger snaps actually flavored with ginger, or an artificial flavoring?

We keep candied ginger on board for folks who suffer mal-de-mer.

Just *how* could anyone suffer from mal-de-mer on a LAKE?????

PDW

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Don White

DSK wrote:
"Scotty" wrote:

I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

Wait at least until the boat starts rocking, but not necessarily until
that old queasy feeling sets in.

Ginger ale also works nicely, although if you overdo it, the carbonation
is bad.

"Wayne.B" wrote

The one remedy which works for just avout everyone and is clinically
proven:

http://www.prevent-motion-sickness-scopolamine.com/

Yeah but they have side effects.

Capt. JG wrote:

The patches work for me, but they make me unusually thirsty... more
than I can stand, sort of like feeling that I've been marching in
desert conditions, so I don't use them.

Plus they can give you a hangover worse than tequila. And it seems to
hit some people really hard, I went on a charter trip with a girl years
ago who was practically in a coma from her scopolamine patches. She
slept for 40 hours straight and it took over a week to get out of her
system.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

The first time we sailed 30nm down the coast to our 'summer club' I took
the patch.
Man did I get drowsy. When we got home around 2200 hrs I flopped into
the bed and didn't wake up till the next afternoon. That never happens
to me. I was completely wiped.
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Capt. JG

Lake Michigan...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Peter" wrote in message
oups.com...

Maxprop wrote:
"Scotty" wrote in message
I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

SBV

Are ginger snaps actually flavored with ginger, or an artificial
flavoring?

We keep candied ginger on board for folks who suffer mal-de-mer.

Just *how* could anyone suffer from mal-de-mer on a LAKE?????

PDW

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Ryk

On 22 Jun 2006 17:17:26 -0700, in message
.com
"Peter" wrote:

Maxprop wrote:

We keep candied ginger on board for folks who suffer mal-de-mer.

Just *how* could anyone suffer from mal-de-mer on a LAKE?????

The usual way...

Wave motion can be much more disorganized over shallower water and a
good wind with a 30 mile fetch will pile up big waves on fresh water
too.

Ryk, happily unaffected

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
John Cairns

"Peter" wrote in message
oups.com...

Maxprop wrote:
"Scotty" wrote in message
I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

SBV

Are ginger snaps actually flavored with ginger, or an artificial
flavoring?

We keep candied ginger on board for folks who suffer mal-de-mer.

Just *how* could anyone suffer from mal-de-mer on a LAKE?????

PDW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_Storm_of_1913

..John Cairns

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Joe

Steve Thrasher wrote:
Scotty wrote:

The only time I felt queasy was anchored in a storm, closed
up cabin, with an alcohol stove cooking spaghetti. Not a
good combination.

In 1957 my dad was assigned to Hickam AFB. We drove to San Francisco
and boarded a WWII US Navy troop transport, refurbished slightly. For
our first meal out, just after passing under the Golden Gate and
catching some swells, was "Split Pea Soup". Wonderful stuff, green and
slopping about in the waves.

Wuss.. Green pea will settle the stomach.... to bland, Coonass fish
head and rice soup, now thats the ticket. The Greasy pork
chops....thats a standard. Bacon works good too! Top things off with a
nice Cigar...once you get the weak ones blowing chunks the rest are
easy.

It also helps if you make wall paper for the head by printing this 100
times:

http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/o/image...circeye_lg.jpg

Joe
;o)

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Maxprop

"Peter" wrote in message
oups.com...

Maxprop wrote:
"Scotty" wrote in message
I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

SBV

Are ginger snaps actually flavored with ginger, or an artificial
flavoring?

We keep candied ginger on board for folks who suffer mal-de-mer.

Just *how* could anyone suffer from mal-de-mer on a LAKE?????

Heh, heh . . . Please accept my cordial invitation to join us and find out,
should you ever find yourself in the States.

I've never gotten seasick on the ocean, but I've gotten actively ill on
Lakes Michigan and Superior.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Larry

Don White wrote in news:%Uzmg.757$pu3.20271@ursa-
nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

I doubt he's be feeling the same way he
would on a 33 foot sailboat with 5 foot swells on an aft quarter that
might make you pitch, yaw & roll.

Hey, Careful, Don! You're makin' me woozy thinking about it and I've got
to go to bed....(c;