posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Capt. JG

Default Seasickness

It would not be uncommon for someone to talk themselves into it. A good part
of it is psychological. Of course, I've puked with the best of them. :-) I
use Doritos, not ginger.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scotty" wrote in message
I already told him that, but he still keeps talking about
seasickness. I'm worried he's going to 'talk himself into
it'. Thus, the ginger snaps might just help ease his mind,
more than his stomach.

SBV

"Don W" wrote in
message
.com...
If you are talking about him going on a cruise
ship, then I'd tell him not to be concerned about
it. We've been on about 5 different cruises in up
to 35' seas, and those huge ships just don't move
around that much.

YMMV,

Don W.

Scotty wrote:

I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him

ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more

for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he

steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Wayne.B

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:43:54 -0400, "Scotty"
wrote:

I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

================================

The one remedy which works for just avout everyone and is clinically
proven:

http://www.prevent-motion-sickness-scopolamine.com/
Jeff

Scotty wrote:
I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

SBV

Go with the ginger - its one of the few non-medical solutions that
actually works. My wife swears by it. Make sure he munches a few
before boarding.

Of course, there will be no motion on a proper cruise ship, so all
you're actually doing is giving him a reason to believe there should
be no problem.

wrote:

I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

================================

The one remedy which works for just avout everyone and is clinically
proven:

http://www.prevent-motion-sickness-scopolamine.com/

The patches work for me, but they make me unusually thirsty... more than I
can stand, sort of like feeling that I've been marching in desert
conditions, so I don't use them.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
DSK

"Scotty" wrote:
I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

Wait at least until the boat starts rocking, but not
necessarily until that old queasy feeling sets in.

Ginger ale also works nicely, although if you overdo it, the
carbonation is bad.

"Wayne.B" wrote
The one remedy which works for just avout everyone and is clinically
proven:

http://www.prevent-motion-sickness-scopolamine.com/

Yeah but they have side effects.

Capt. JG wrote:
The patches work for me, but they make me unusually thirsty... more than I
can stand, sort of like feeling that I've been marching in desert
conditions, so I don't use them.

Plus they can give you a hangover worse than tequila. And it
seems to hit some people really hard, I went on a charter
trip with a girl years ago who was practically in a coma
from her scopolamine patches. She slept for 40 hours
straight and it took over a week to get out of her system.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Scotty

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Wayne.B" wrote in

message

wrote:

I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him

ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more

for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he

steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

================================

The one remedy which works for just avout everyone and

is clinically
proven:

http://www.prevent-motion-sickness-scopolamine.com/

The patches work for me, but they make me unusually

thirsty... more than I
can stand, sort of like feeling that I've been marching in

desert
conditions, so I don't use them.

Well, there's plenty to drink on a cruise ship.

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Maxprop

"Scotty" wrote in message
I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

SBV

Are ginger snaps actually flavored with ginger, or an artificial flavoring?

We keep candied ginger on board for folks who suffer mal-de-mer. Also
Vernor's ginger ale, which is flavored with ginger, not an artificial. And,
with the current interest in sushi and sashimi, ginger slices are available
at most grocery stores, and that actually works best, according to our
seasick friends.

Soda crackers also seem to help when a person is well into being seasick.
Must absorb some stomach acid or something--I really don't know.

FWIW

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Scout

Scotty,
transderm patch.
prescription
Scout

"Scotty" wrote in message
I have a non-boating friend who's going on a cruise next
week. He's concerned about seasickness. I told him ginger is
a good cure. I bought him a box of Ginger Snaps ( more for a
joke ). Should he start munching on these before he steps
onboard or wait till / if he feels bad?

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Scotty

"Maxprop" wrote

Are ginger snaps actually flavored with ginger, or an

artificial flavoring?

We keep candied ginger on board for folks who suffer

mal-de-mer. Also
Vernor's ginger ale, which is flavored with ginger, not an

artificial. And,
with the current interest in sushi and sashimi, ginger

slices are available
at most grocery stores, and that actually works best,

according to our
seasick friends.

Good question. Says right on the front of the box'' made
with real ginger and molasses''.
Side panel states 'contains 2% or less of salt, ginger,
cinnamon, etc.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Steve Thrasher

Scotty wrote:

The only time I felt queasy was anchored in a storm, closed
up cabin, with an alcohol stove cooking spaghetti. Not a
good combination.

In 1957 my dad was assigned to Hickam AFB. We drove to San Francisco
and boarded a WWII US Navy troop transport, refurbished slightly. For
our first meal out, just after passing under the Golden Gate and
catching some swells, was "Split Pea Soup". Wonderful stuff, green and
slopping about in the waves. All of this in front of Men/Women/Children
who've never been to sea before. The second course, for those who still
remained, was "Fried Pork Chops" swimming in it's grease. Damn, those
Navy cooks had a real sense of humor! :-)