Chris

Default TEKA Teak Cleaner - What is in it?

Coudn't find it...

Chris

Thanks for all the answers!
Next time I will try the paint store.

RW Salnick

Rich Hampel wrote:
In most teak cleaners
Part A is usually a caustic such as TSP (TriSodiumPhosphate)
Part B is usually oxalic acid
You can buy these in a hardware or paint store at a FRACTION of the
cost from a 'boat store'.

Most caustics will dissolve the oil from you skin. Oxalic will rapidly
absorb through your skin, then accumulate and do great cumulative harm
to you kidneys ... so wear gloves when working with part B

[...]

Where does this come from? I have constantly seen references to rapid
skin absorption of oxalic acid. Yet as a professional in the chemical
engineering field, I have never seen any literature referring to that
property (and here I am not talking to the "chemicals are evil" scare
literature, cf. http://www.dhmo.org for a parody). At worst, oxalic
acid is listed as a skin irritant. I grant you that it is a powerful
systemic poison - when ingested.

bob

Richard J Kinch

RW Salnick writes:

Where does this come from?

No use starting a rhubarb over this.
Rich Hampel

Now thats funny.

In article , Richard J
Kinch wrote:

RW Salnick writes:

Where does this come from?

No use starting a rhubarb over this.

BF

I have no idea what the answer to your question is and to further show my
ignorance:
Isn't DHMO the industrial cleaning agent that was reported to have curative
effects for arthritis while causing garlic breath?
BF

"RW Salnick" wrote in message

Rich Hampel wrote:

[...]

I think you may be confusing DHMO (DiHydrogenMonoxide) with DMSO
(DiMethylSulphoxide).

bob
Jim

Chris wrote:
Coudn't find it...

Go look again. I buy it there all the time.

The brand name is "Goodwins." It says, "For Cleaner Laundry" across the top.

Jere Lull

In article .com,
"Chris" wrote:

Does anybody know the ingredients of TEKA A and B?

I am wondering a bucket of what I should have ready to
quickly rinse off / flush away spills of TEKA A when
cleaning trim. (Soapy water? Vinegar solution? Sth. else?),
and also what protection is appropriate. (Rubber gloves?)

The answers are in Bruce van Sant's "The Gentleman's Guide to Passages
South, The Thornless Path to Windward."

Of COURSE I could give the answers (from the top of my head), but I
believe you'll get quite a bit more out of that book that will serve you
well.

Before others respond that he's a "do as I say, not as I do" type of
guy: It doesn't matter as he gives HOPE to many, and there are a bunch
of great tips for the inexperienced. He's not inexperienced, so the
rules differ for him and those who have experience.

--
Jere Lull