Ryk

Default 2 strokes or 4 strokes engine

On Mon, 22 May 2006 17:52:11 -0400, in message

Matt O'Toole wrote:

I've been very happy with the 2 HP Honda 4 stroke, which weighs only 28
LB, and runs for a couple of hours on a pint of fuel. It's been dead
reliable for 4 years, and hundreds of starts (at least).

I like mine too, but I think you're exaggerating just a little on the
fuel economy. I've used up most of the 1 litre tank in not much over
an hour ;-)

Oh, and the shear pins work fine, but it would be a good idea to add a
nail set or similar to the carry bag to drive the remains out of the
shaft. None of the tools on my Swiss Army Knife were up to the job.

What goes in your carry bag when you climb into the dinghy?

Ryk

Ryk

On Mon, 22 May 2006 22:09:11 GMT, in message

Mys Terry wrote:

On Mon, 22 May 2006 17:52:11 -0400, Matt O'Toole
wrote:
Even a Seagull is heavier than that, noisier, stinkier, thirstier, less
reliable, and horribly polluting.

When people ask me about Seagull Outboards, I like to tell them that many owners
swear by them. Every time they are by them...

Personally I have one very positive thing to say about Seagull
Outboards. They have a shaft like a pipe, nice and round and easy to
hang onto. I know, because the only time I ever went overboard I
managed to grab the engine shaft as the transom went by. I don't
recall ever using one for propulsion.

Ryk

Matt O'Toole

Matt O'Toole wrote:

I've been very happy with the 2 HP Honda 4 stroke, which weighs only 28
LB, and runs for a couple of hours on a pint of fuel. It's been dead
reliable for 4 years, and hundreds of starts (at least).

I like mine too, but I think you're exaggerating just a little on the
fuel economy. I've used up most of the 1 litre tank in not much over
an hour ;-)

Actually I do get two hours to a tankful, which is a quart/liter.

I run at a pretty low RPM, which gives hull speed easily in a 9'
RIB. Most people run their dinghy motors too hard. It uses a lot more
fuel, and doesn't make you go any faster (unless you have enough power to
plane).

Oh, and the shear pins work fine, but it would be a good idea to add a
nail set or similar to the carry bag to drive the remains out of the
shaft. None of the tools on my Swiss Army Knife were up to the job.

What goes in your carry bag when you climb into the dinghy?

Extra gas, a handheld VHF, and a cell phone.

Matt O.

Ryk

On Wed, 24 May 2006 22:15:42 -0400, in message

Matt O'Toole wrote:

I've been very happy with the 2 HP Honda 4 stroke, which weighs only 28
LB, and runs for a couple of hours on a pint of fuel. It's been dead
reliable for 4 years, and hundreds of starts (at least).

I like mine too, but I think you're exaggerating just a little on the
fuel economy. I've used up most of the 1 litre tank in not much over
an hour ;-)

Actually I do get two hours to a tankful, which is a quart/liter.

Which would be an hour per pint...

I run at a pretty low RPM, which gives hull speed easily in a 9'
RIB. Most people run their dinghy motors too hard. It uses a lot more
fuel, and doesn't make you go any faster (unless you have enough power to
plane).

Mine is on a more flexible boat (old plywood floor and inflatable
keel) so it soaks up more energy in anything but absolutely flat
water.

Cheers,

Ryk

On Sun, 21 May 2006 12:30:59 +0000, marierdj wrote:

I never had an outboard engine. I have always used a set of oars with my
little rigid dinghy.
Now I am looking at getting an inflatable and they do not row as well as a
rigid dinghy so I need an outboard engine.
Carrying gasoline on my sailboat does not appeal to me very much let alone
mixing oil. On the other hand a two strokes engine does not weight as much
as a 4 strokes. On a sailboat handling an outboard engine means that you
have to lift it up and secure it on the stern rail when sailing. Then when
you want to go ashore you have to get the outboard down and mounted on your
inflatable.
I have not done this before and any held would be appreciated.

Two words: GO ELECTRIC!

I have a Minn-Kota 55-lb (thrust) electric trolling motor for my Brig 9.5
inflatable. Pushes it at hull speed (5+knots by GPS) for 1.5hrs, or slower
all day, with a Group 24 battery. The motor weighs about 30 lb, as does
the battery, so you can load them separately into the dinghy. Store them
any which way and charge the battery either from an AC charger or from
the engine's alternator (or I guess from a solar panel, but it would take
a while...)

They're also substantially cheaper than an gas outboard: mine was about
$400 CDN (no, it's not the "special" sal****er version: previously I had a
30-lb Endura for almost 10 years, exclusively in salt, never rinsed, still
runs fine.)

Lloyd Sumpter
http://www.bcboatnet.org