posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Bill Kearney

Default Bad day at the office

In agony I realized what
had happened. The hot water machine had sucked up a jellyfish and
pumped it into my suit.

Yeah well, the story might've been circulating for a while, but I've
actually been there, done that.

Stand-up jetski.
Mid-August afternoon (hot, in and out of the water) in 1998.
Shallow bay west of Delaware town of Dewey Beach.

I started to throttle up the jetski to give me enough momentum to pull
myself up onto it. To my horror I saw a cloud of small jellysfish in the
water just ahead of me. Here I am, dragging behind the jetski...

The impeller sucks up the jellyfish, chops 'em up and ejects them out the
nozzle... straight down my shorts, since I'm hangin' off the back trying to
build momentum.

Felt like someone tossed a running industrial belt sander into my pants, or
what I'd imagine that'd feel like...

I hung off the side, opened the throttle WIDE OPEN and headed straight out
for deeper water. Hung off the side with barely my nose above water in an
attempt to chill the UNBELIEAVABLE stinging. Took about a half-hour until
my buddies came out wondering what the heck I was doing. Heard the same
laughter.

Suffice to say I ain't going near a stand-up jetski again anytime soon.

-Bill Kearney

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
purple_stars

Bill Kearney wrote:
[snip]
I hung off the side, opened the throttle WIDE OPEN and headed straight out
for deeper water. Hung off the side with barely my nose above water in an
attempt to chill the UNBELIEAVABLE stinging. Took about a half-hour until
my buddies came out wondering what the heck I was doing. Heard the same
laughter.

hahahaha thanks for the laugh bill ...

Scotty wrote:
That's what you get for riding a jet-ski in the first place!

I'm impressed the Mys Terry rides (or rode) stand-up's....that's a
skill (that I will almost surely never have!) that some of you
sailboaters, whose skills I also admire and respect, should
appreciate....something that requires dedication, practice,
athleticism, balance and coordination. The fact that you say a
jellyfish incident scared you away from them forever seems kinda wacky
though, it's not like that would happen all the time!

richforman

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Scotty

wrote in message
oups.com..
..

Scotty wrote:
That's what you get for riding a jet-ski in the first

place!

I'm impressed the Mys Terry rides (or rode)

stand-up's....that's a
skill (that I will almost surely never have!) that some of

you

That wasn't BB / Mys terry / Robert's post. He is too old,
fat and uncoordinated to ride a jet ski or a motorcycle.

Scotty

Scotty wrote:

I'm impressed the Mys Terry rides (or rode)
stand-up's

That wasn't BB / Mys terry / Robert's post. He is too old,
fat and uncoordinated to ride a jet ski or a motorcycle.

Oops you're right...Bill Kearney then.

richforman

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Bill Kearney

I'm impressed the Mys Terry rides (or rode) stand-up's....that's a
skill (that I will almost surely never have!) that some of you
sailboaters, whose skills I also admire and respect, should
appreciate....something that requires dedication, practice,
athleticism, balance and coordination.

And when you're 6'4" at 220lbs it's no mean feat! It takes a *considerable*
amount of arm and torso strength necessary to haul oneself up into a
standing position!

The fact that you say a
jellyfish incident scared you away from them forever seems kinda wacky
though, it's not like that would happen all the time!

Eh, it had more to do with it not being my jetski than anything else. I
personally think they're an abomination, and their riders are among the
least courteous of anyone on the water. At least sailboaters have the
excuse of the wind to justify their ineptitude.

Bad day at the office Bill Kearney General 6 May 18th 06 02:59 PM
Bad day at the office SUZY ASA 0 May 12th 06 09:44 PM
Bad day at the office katy Cruising 0 May 12th 06 09:43 PM
The Christmas Office Party Guide - The "what not to do" video! Usenet Joe General 0 November 26th 05 01:07 AM