Default What's the best rigid dinghy

I am not too keen of inflatable dinghies. My 7'-0" wooden sabot pram has
served me well for more then 20 years. Now it is the time to replace it. As
a replacement I looked at the Walker Bay 8'-0" and 10'-0" dinghies. The
8'-0" weight is 76 pounds but the 10'-0" is 121 pounds. Price wise the 10
foot is listed at $1400.00 CAD plus 15% taxes the walks away price is
$1600.00 CAD. I wonder if there is something better on the market that is
can be towed easily behinds a sailboat and price more reasonability

By the look of it I may have to, again, build my own. Then what is the
most prefer dinghy design?

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 May 2006 18:21:21 GMT, said:

I wonder if there is something better on the market that is
can be towed easily behinds a sailboat and price more reasonability

You're already scraping the bottom of the barrel with Walker Bay.

Ed

for stability..... round outside tubes made with Hypalon with a ridged
center.... You asked....

I would go used before I went home-made..... Dingies get cheap fast in
the used market... 50% in 2 years typical.

"Dave" wrote in message

On Wed, 10 May 2006 18:21:21 GMT, said:

I wonder if there is something better on the market that is
can be towed easily behinds a sailboat and price more reasonability

You're already scraping the bottom of the barrel with Walker Bay.

dog

Another choice that you might want to consider is a Portabote. The 8'
model is fairly stable, and may be a good choice for you. They're very
stable, and very durable, and stow in much less space than other
"rigid" dinghies. I use a 12' one personally. I like the fact that it
can plane with a very small outboard engine, and handles chop and rough
water fairly well.

Denny

Build your own... Easily done, more fun than spending a couple thousand
bucks, and gives you something to talk about...
Go to
www.duckworksbbs.com
http://www.devlinboat.com/dcguppy.htm
http://www.devlinboat.com/dcpolliwog.htm
http://www.devlinboat.com/homebuilttimmons.htm
http://www.woodenwidget.com/ ( a folding dink)
for starters...
I'm just finishing a pair of 7.5 foot dinks for the kids to have fun
with... If you do decide to build one drop me an email and I'll have
some tips...

denny

New Dinghy Capt. Rob ASA 61 May 22nd 06 03:46 AM
Floating dinghy painters are available. Roger Long Cruising 12 January 24th 06 04:13 AM
Handheld aboard dinghy [email protected] Electronics 9 November 29th 05 09:01 PM
The Best Dinghy! Capt. Rob ASA 1 November 11th 05 02:49 AM
Stowing Dinghy on Pacific Seacraft 34 db9 Cruising 13 October 14th 05 06:18 PM