Roger Long

Default I can't believe I don't know this - teak bungs

Actually, I'm speaking from experience too. Pulling the bungs out in
pieces raised a few splinters. I don't know what the PO, or maybe the
builder, used for glue which prompted my first post.

I think I'm actually looking for the glue that would make your method
reliable. If I'd done it on the bungs in my boat, I think I would
have had a problem.

It sounds to me that almost anything like Weldwood or varnish would be
that glue. For bungs I put in myself, I'll try your system. For
bungs I don't know personally, I think I'll stick to digging around
gingerly with a knife.

--

Roger Long

"Dave" wrote in message
On Tue, 09 May 2006 20:25:06 GMT, "Roger Long"
said:

Running a screw through the middle
sounds like a good way to lift up splinters of surrounding grain to
me.

Others' experience may differ from mine in that regard, but I do
speak from
experience, and not just from what it "sounds like," as you
apparently do.

Jim,

Roger Long wrote:
"Dennis Pogson" wrote

I think he wants to remove them without tearing great holes in his
lovely
teak.

Exactly, although it's far from lovely teak.

Go to a hardware store and get a "screw starter" -- Has a screwdriver
handle, but the end is a hardened screw tip -- Put the point on the
plug, bump it to get started, give it a few turns, and pull -- the plugs
pop right out
Tom Dacon

That paragraph refers to interior woodwork. Elsewhere I refer to exterior
applications. There aren't many people who don't varnish teak when they use
it indoors. You may be an exception.

Tom Dacon

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 May 2006 19:41:29 -0700, "Tom Dacon"

said:

If it's interior woodwork, just dip the ends of the plugs into varnish,
let
it soak in a bit, give them a wipe so they don't drip while you're
inserting
them, and tap them in. Let them dry, cut them off, varnish over them, and
then when you need to get them back out they remove easily with any of the
usual techniques.

You're assuming he varnishes it. We're talking teak, remember. A lot of us
don't varnish teak.

finishing teak swimout ves911 General 1 April 19th 06 03:27 AM
Le Tonkinois on Teak: Experiences? Any good? Chris Boat Building 29 April 8th 06 02:01 PM
Le Tonkinois on Teak: Experiences? Any good? Chris Cruising 29 April 8th 06 02:01 PM
How to restore teak cabin sole? Roger Long Cruising 7 February 8th 06 09:08 PM
Teak seam caulk Glenn Ashmore Boat Building 20 January 13th 06 05:19 PM