posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.travel.cruises
Grey

Default New to cruising (UK)

We have booked our first cruise travelling from Southampton to the Baltic in
August, and we're not really sure what we've let ourselves in for. The wife
is a bit nervous about dressing up for the formal/semi-formal/casual nights
and hasn't a clue what to wear.

Is there somewhere which gives good advice on this sort of thing and on what
we can expect? The day of our sailing will also be our first wedding
anniversary, so I would want to do something a bit special as well.

Thanks,

Graham

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.travel.cruises
Grey

"Capt Mary Kidd" wrote in message
The message
from "Grey" contains these words:

We have booked our first cruise travelling from Southampton to the

Baltic in
August, and we're not really sure what we've let ourselves in for. The

wife
is a bit nervous about dressing up for the formal/semi-formal/casual

nights
and hasn't a clue what to wear.

Graham, which line are you sailing? No need to be nervous about what to
wear, but it will depend on which ship, some are more formal than
others.

P & O.

Is there somewhere which gives good advice on this sort of thing and on

what
we can expect? The day of our sailing will also be our first wedding
anniversary, so I would want to do something a bit special as well.

There are 2 good UK based cruising forums from where you will get tons
of info.

http://www.ship-happens.co.uk/
go to the green board

and http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=35

There will be various things you can do for your anniversary, some ships
will provide a cake too without asking; but need to know which one you
are on first

--
Pam

Thanks for that.

Graham

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.travel.cruises
padeen

Pam, you're a paragon of courtesy and patience! You have my respect.

Brad

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.travel.cruises
padeen

Graham, this newsgroup is primarily concerned with small (20-60') sailing or
power boats going offshore for extended periods of time, not steamship-line
vacationing. Our "cruising", usually done in old sweats and foulies, often
standing alone in windblown rain and wave scud, with sometimes little or no
sleep, scrambling to make a cup-o-noodles for dinner between possible
broaching, with periods of wrench-in-hand fighting a breakdown that may put
us on the rocks, is about as unlike what you're asking as to be quite
humorous to some of the posters here.

Hope you find what you're looking for, and that you have a lovely "Cruise"

Brad