Alan Heslop

Default Expected life for Ford Lehman diesel engines?

I am currently looking at a Grand Banks 42 ft Trawler. It is equipped with
two Ford Lehman engines. They currently have 4800 hours on each of them.
I have had conflicing information as to engine life. One source says 10,000
hours while another says 5,000 hours.

Does anyone have experence with these engines to give me the warm and
fuzzies of the cold shower of truth?

Al Heslop

Lew Hodgett

Alan Heslop wrote:
I am currently looking at a Grand Banks 42 ft Trawler. It is equipped

with
two Ford Lehman engines. They currently have 4800 hours on each of them.
I have had conflicing information as to engine life. One source says

10,000
hours while another says 5,000 hours.

Does anyone have experence with these engines to give me the warm and
fuzzies of the cold shower of truth?

Can't answer that question since you don't know the history of how those
hours were accumulated.

Your best shot would be to pull an oil sample and have it analyzed.

It's not cheap, but less than an engine rebuild.

Lew
Bob

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Alan Heslop wrote:
It is equipped
with two Ford Lehman engines. They currently have 4800 hours on each of them.
I have had conflicing information as to engine life. One source says

10,000 hours while another says 5,000 hours.

How long should a marrage last? I was in Fiji in the 1970s. The engines
were in everything. Friend told me the enginies were also everywhere in
India.

Your best shot would be to pull an oil sample and have it analyzed.
It's not cheap, but less than an engine rebuild.
Lew

Humm, expensive???? Just got my oil sample analyzed a week ago for
$13.50. Went to my local NAPA store and asked for a sample kit. Sent it
off and a week later got the info back. Pretty cool.

Lew Hodgett

Bob wrote:

Humm, expensive???? Just got my oil sample analyzed a week ago for
$13.50. Went to my local NAPA store and asked for a sample kit. Sent it
off and a week later got the info back. Pretty cool.

Not sure what kind of analysis you get for $13.50.

A detailed wear analysis can get quite expensive, at least it used to be
expensive.

Maybe times have changed.

Lew

Larry

"Bob" wrote in news:1145493982.500423.60960
@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

$13.50. Went to my local NAPA store

See? There ya go, bypassing the marine ripoff experts and sending it out
disguised as diesel truck oil....

Shhh.....we won't tell....(c;

Keith

5000 hrs. on a Lehman is just getting broken in. 10,000 hrs. is easy,
and a lot run up to 15,000 hrs. with no problems. The trick is to
change the oil, oil and air filters often. For oil, every 100 hrs. or
annual, or 200 hrs. if you run hard and all the time, like a work boat.
Call American Diesel if you have questions; Bob Smith was in charge of
marinizing them all. 804-435-3107. Make sure you use a good oil rated
for diesel. I use straight 40 wt. Delo 400 in mine. Shell Rotella is
good as well. I'm in Texas, so it's pretty warm year-round. You would
want to use straight 30 wt. up North.

Dennis Pogson

Keith wrote:
5000 hrs. on a Lehman is just getting broken in. 10,000 hrs. is easy,
and a lot run up to 15,000 hrs. with no problems. The trick is to
change the oil, oil and air filters often. For oil, every 100 hrs. or
annual, or 200 hrs. if you run hard and all the time, like a work
boat. Call American Diesel if you have questions; Bob Smith was in
charge of marinizing them all. 804-435-3107. Make sure you use a good
oil rated for diesel. I use straight 40 wt. Delo 400 in mine. Shell
Rotella is good as well. I'm in Texas, so it's pretty warm
year-round. You would want to use straight 30 wt. up North.

Yeah, you're right-on. If a trucker only got 5,000 hrs out of an engine he
wouldn't be buying Ford. That's about 100,000 on-road miles, you gotta be
joking!

DP

Paul Cassel

Dennis Pogson wrote:

Yeah, you're right-on. If a trucker only got 5,000 hrs out of an engine he
wouldn't be buying Ford. That's about 100,000 on-road miles, you gotta be
joking!

@ 20 mph. Most truckers drive a bit faster.

On 19-Apr-2006, "Keith" wrote:

American Diesel

Well.....I guess I will jump in. The advice of clean oil and clean air is
dead on. As to the original poster's questions about engine life I would
make the following observation. I have been watching Yacht World boat ads
for years. I have NEVER seen a trawler (Private - not commercial) for sale
with a Ford Lehman in it with 10,000+ hours. If you do a search with the
following parameters of 32-50', diesel, and trawler you will get about 2,000
hits. Start digging through them and see if you find a 10,000+hr engine.
I've got $20 that says no. I feel that since the trawlers I look at tend to
be 30+ years old I would like to find one in the 2,000 to 3,000 hr range.
That equates to 70-100 hrs a year. I would only buy a 5,000+hr boat if
everything else was perfect and the price allowed me to replace an engine
and still be able to sell the boat w/o the loss of $15,000. I get cranky
when I lose money.

Just one mans opinion. Good luck...dave
Junior Member

We have an '86 Albin 40' with a single Lehman SP135 ( normally aspirated). has 12,100 hours and still purring. We are 3rd owners and was lucky to have very regular maintenance by 2 previous owners (which they logged religiously). Only major repair has been a transmission rebuild (current) and water pump, plus the normal replacement cycle on the heat exchangers and hoses.

As to the post regarding the number hours seen in the ads, I suspect that datum would be conveniently omitted in any posting if it was greater than 10,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Heslop View Post