Lew Hodgett

Default Expected life for Ford Lehman diesel engines?

Alan Heslop wrote:
I am currently looking at a Grand Banks 42 ft Trawler. It is equipped

with
two Ford Lehman engines. They currently have 4800 hours on each of them.
I have had conflicing information as to engine life. One source says

10,000
hours while another says 5,000 hours.

Does anyone have experence with these engines to give me the warm and
fuzzies of the cold shower of truth?

Can't answer that question since you don't know the history of how those
hours were accumulated.

Your best shot would be to pull an oil sample and have it analyzed.

It's not cheap, but less than an engine rebuild.

Lew