Chris

Default Frozen screws and lexan hatch covers in Miami FL

Hi maybe you can help....three of the screws is frozen on the traveler
Philips head. What's best heating and if so do I use a heat gun on the
screw head? The traveler is aluminum. I also have a deck organizer
Schafer with frozen flat screw heads into a iron embedded backing
plate.
Question 2 what is the best way to remove plastic hatch covers from
their aluminum Frame also heating the Silicone glue
And #3 Anybody have a place in Miami Fl for Lexan grey tint hatch
replacements?
Thanks in advance Chris

BF

I have a tool bought back in the 70's to work on motorcycles. It's a heavy
handle that has a 3/8 square drive male at one end and a flat surface at the
other. One attaches an appropriate screwdriver bit to the square drive,
insert the screwdriver into the screw head and whacks the flat end with a
largish hammer. The square drive is part of a cam that turns just a wee bit
upon each whack. This result in a great deal of torque being delivered to
the screw and at the same time a lot of force to keep the screwdriver bit
engaged with the screw head. It also caused a force to the screw threads
counter to the force caused by the tightening of the screw.
Works a charm even on screws with partially stripped heads assuming the
parts in question are substantial enough to withstand the pounding without
flexing too much.
Best I remember they are called impact drivers and are probably still
available.
BF

"Chris" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi maybe you can help....three of the screws is frozen on the traveler
Philips head. What's best heating and if so do I use a heat gun on the
screw head? The traveler is aluminum. I also have a deck organizer
Schafer with frozen flat screw heads into a iron embedded backing
plate.
Question 2 what is the best way to remove plastic hatch covers from
their aluminum Frame also heating the Silicone glue
And #3 Anybody have a place in Miami Fl for Lexan grey tint hatch
replacements?
Thanks in advance Chris

Jeff

BF wrote:
I have a tool bought back in the 70's to work on motorcycles. It's a heavy

Best I remember they are called impact drivers and are probably still
available.

Yup. They cost $25 at Sears. It sits in the bottom of the toolbox
until it earns its keep once a decade.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00947641000
Chris

Thanks...already have an impact driver....$10.00 at ACE didn't move it
as yet....

BF

You just need a bigger hammer!
BF

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks...already have an impact driver....$10.00 at ACE didn't move it
as yet....

Jim,

Chris wrote:
Hi maybe you can help....three of the screws is frozen on the traveler
Philips head. What's best heating and if so do I use a heat gun on the
screw head? The traveler is aluminum. I also have a deck organizer
Schafer with frozen flat screw heads into a iron embedded backing
plate.
Question 2 what is the best way to remove plastic hatch covers from
their aluminum Frame also heating the Silicone glue
And #3 Anybody have a place in Miami Fl for Lexan grey tint hatch
replacements?
Thanks in advance Chris

Try a shot of this every day for a week or so

https://secure.cnchost.com/kanolabs....siltrial.shtml
Keith

PB Blaster will also loosen the screws. Available at most auto parts
places, etc.