Roger Long

Default Any VC 17M users?

I'm about to paint the bottom with another coat of Interlux VC 17 M.
The data sheet is a bit ambiguous. In one place it seems to say that
old paint should be sanded. In another is says sanding is not
necessary when the old paint is VC 17 M.

I think I remember the yard that put the VC 17 M over the VC 17 that
came with the boat saying that all that needed to be done is go over
the surface with a Scotch Brite pad.

Anybody out there successfully recoated with VC 17 M without sanding?

Last year's paint looks tight and solid. Sanding is a big deal in my
yard because we have to rent a vacuum sander and drape everything with
plastic.

--

Roger Long

Larry

"Roger Long" wrote in news:gHg0g.14$LG.0
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

Interlux

Boaters with money just can't help themselves. They gotta show it off....

Everyone who can afford multiple coats of Interlux covering the whole hull
raise their hands to be recognized....

How much is a gallon in Maine, Roger?

Roger Long

Very unfair, Larry. But, there's probably no way you could know. If
you saw my boat, you'd know that I've spent all my life around working
boats and am hardly a spit and polish kind of guy. Take a look
through my web site to see how far I will go to save a buck

This is bottom paint, up to the waterline only. It wouldn't have been
my first choice but extensive research by the yard last year turned up
the fact that it was the only kind that would go over the old paint
without a two and a half grand stripping job.

The reason for my question is to see if I can save $150 bucks this
year by not having the yard sand it, something I would do myself
except for my wrist problems. I can put my kids or friends to work
with wet Scotch Brite and buckets of water without the yard getting a
$50,000 fine if the EPA shows up.

I think I'm showing off my frugality and, in boating terms, relative
poverty.

--

Roger Long

"Larry" wrote in message
"Roger Long" wrote in news:gHg0g.14$LG.0
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

Interlux

Boaters with money just can't help themselves. They gotta show it
off....

Everyone who can afford multiple coats of Interlux covering the
whole hull
raise their hands to be recognized....

How much is a gallon in Maine, Roger?

Flemming Torp

Hi Roger, just a short comment (about our VC 17 experience) from
Denmark (salt water sailing):

We have been sailing an Albin Ballad (30 feet sail boat -
http://groups.msn.com/albin-ballad ) for 11 years and always used VC
17.
The bottom is - and has always been - very smooth/plain - whatever the
right word is ...
When we take the boat out of the water in October/November, we use
water, a brush and sometimes a 3M product (I don't know the name, but
it is also used on drilling machines as small round polishing disks)
in squared form on a bar and remove all "foreign objects" ... and
finally, we wash with fresh water.
In springtime (March/April) we wash again with a brush, and when the
"underwater hull and keel"/bottom is dry, we paint twice with a small
roller. It dries very fast (do not use it if the temperature is below
10 degrees centigrade), and you may leave your boat on land for a
pretty long time after having applied VC 17.

We have never had to sand the bottom since 1995, and the bottom is
still "as new" (the boat was built 1973!).
The major reason for using VC 17 in the first hand was the possibility
of having a very smooth/fast bottom (we used to race).
The major reason to day is, that it is very easy and fast to apply -
it is "as thin as water" ... and we are not very good a painting ...
When the bottom is painted it has a very nice "copper like" surface,
but as soon as the boat enters the water, it turns almost black ...
The only disadvantage we can find is the cost of using VC 17: In
Denmark it is more expensive than other types of bottom paints.

Best regards
Flemming Torp

"Roger Long" skrev i en meddelelse
I'm about to paint the bottom with another coat of Interlux VC 17 M.
The data sheet is a bit ambiguous. In one place it seems to say
that old paint should be sanded. In another is says sanding is not
necessary when the old paint is VC 17 M.

I think I remember the yard that put the VC 17 M over the VC 17 that
came with the boat saying that all that needed to be done is go over
the surface with a Scotch Brite pad.

Anybody out there successfully recoated with VC 17 M without
sanding?

Last year's paint looks tight and solid. Sanding is a big deal in
my yard because we have to rent a vacuum sander and drape everything
with plastic.

--

Roger Long

In my freshwater experience with VC 17m, I have always wiped a few
spots with Interlux 216 Thinner and went ahead with the painting. It's
worked great for me since 2000. This year I will only need to touch up
a few areas. I haven't had to paint the whole bottom in three years
and have always prepped the bottom the same way. A little 216 wiped
over a couple of spots that the pressure washer didn't get too clean is
all that I've ever needed to do. Good luck.

Keith

sdg

In article , Roger Long says...

I think I remember the yard that put the VC 17 M over the VC 17 that
came with the boat saying that all that needed to be done is go over
the surface with a Scotch Brite pad.

Anybody out there successfully recoated with VC 17 M without sanding?

I have done this several times. On the north side of Lake Ontario, it is one of
the benefits of VC17. As a bottom-cote it works well enough and other than
smelly is quite easy to handle.

You will have washed the hull. Any funny/rough spots I touch with hand sand
paper.

Because the solvent is so volatile, some people either decant the mixed paint
into a disposable water/sport bottle so they can squeze out what they need. I
just use last year's can lid with a couple of holes punched in the top, so I can
pour out a couple of ounces onto the roller/tray and the rest does not evaporate
before my eyes.

Good Luck
sdg Bayfield 29 "Discovery"

rhys

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 01:01:00 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I'm about to paint the bottom with another coat of Interlux VC 17 M.
The data sheet is a bit ambiguous. In one place it seems to say that
old paint should be sanded. In another is says sanding is not
necessary when the old paint is VC 17 M.

I think I remember the yard that put the VC 17 M over the VC 17 that
came with the boat saying that all that needed to be done is go over
the surface with a Scotch Brite pad.

Anybody out there successfully recoated with VC 17 M without sanding?

My wife used a Scotch Brite pad on VC17 last week and put on VC 17M
over it with no visible problems. Looks fine, if a little thin. A
second coat will be needed before launch.

YMMV
R.

Drive Saver/Spacer users sought Skip Gundlach Boat Building 20 April 3rd 06 06:11 PM
Ping: Firefox 1.5 users *JimH* General 1 December 10th 05 06:16 AM
For Digital SLR users... RG General 7 October 18th 05 04:05 PM
For Digital SLR users... P Fritz General 0 October 17th 05 09:25 PM