Dennis Pogson

Default Suits vs Rafts

Roger Long wrote:
"Gary" wrote

Further to your notes, most boats abandoned in favour of liferafts
are subsequently found floating and fine.

They say, "If you are not stepping UP into your liferaft from the deck
of your sinking vessel, you are getting off too soon."

Very true, but make sure the raft is not tied to the boat, they make useless
submarines.

Denny

My solution is that the boat I am building is unsinkable... No life
rafts.. No survival suits... Just stay with the boat...

denny

Wayne.B

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:05:05 GMT, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:

make sure the raft is not tied to the boat

Bad advice. The raft needs to be tied to the boat from the time just
before it is deployed/inflated until the last person is aboard. There
is a knife as part of the raft equipment to cut it loose, and the
tether attachment is designed to break before the raft can be pulled
under.

If you do not tie the raft to the boat it will either not inflate when
you throw it overboard, be blown away, or both.

Jeff

Denny wrote:
My solution is that the boat I am building is unsinkable... No life
rafts.. No survival suits... Just stay with the boat...

denny

Is it fire proof?
Larry

Jeff wrote in :

Is it fire proof?

None of them are......(sigh).

Been aboard a burning steel ship. Took 8 hours to put that fire out.
"Navy, it's not just a job, it's an adventure."

Painted steel burns amazingly hot.....

Gary

Denny wrote:
My solution is that the boat I am building is unsinkable... No life
rafts.. No survival suits... Just stay with the boat...

denny

What are you going to call it?
Titanic?
dog

On 2006-03-29 07:09:58 -0500, "Denny" said:

My solution is that the boat I am building is unsinkable... No life
rafts.. No survival suits... Just stay with the boat...

denny

Even if your boat is unsinkable, if it gets holed, the boat may fill
with enough water to make hypothermia a significant threat. A survival
suit is probably still a good idea. Arrogance or hubris is likely to
get you killed... look at the Titanic...

prodigal1

Larry wrote:
Jeff wrote in :

Is it fire proof?

None of them are......(sigh).

Been aboard a burning steel ship. Took 8 hours to put that fire out.
"Navy, it's not just a job, it's an adventure."

Painted steel burns amazingly hot.....

but it's the paint that is actually burning yes?
prodigal1

Gary wrote:
Denny wrote:

My solution is that the boat I am building is unsinkable... No life
rafts.. No survival suits... Just stay with the boat...

denny

What are you going to call it?
Titanic?

that was the obvious one eh? I got badkarma vibes just thinking about
making a joke out of that one.

In a steel boat of ship few people can afford electric cable made to
Military specifications.
The fire on board is not your worst enemy it is the fume produced by burning
electrical cabling insulation.

PFD MarshallE Boat Building 16 February 24th 06 06:35 PM
PFD MarshallE Cruising 20 February 24th 06 06:35 PM
Storing Neoprene Vests, Wakeboards, Rafts for winter ToneJohn General 1 November 1st 05 12:53 PM