sherwindu

Default Sailboat Hardware/Accessories - Best Place to Purchase

Last year I got very good prices from Cabelas sporting goods stores.
Their prices
on a dock ladder and outboard assist bracket were way below what West
Marine
was charging. You can find them at:
http://www.cabela.com/
They have an extensive general catalog of fishing gear, boating gear,
etc., and a
specialized catalog just on boating. I would not classify them as a full
service
boat supply house, but they are worth checking out. In my location just
north of Chicago, I am surrounded with West Marine stores. All the
independent yacht stores have disappeared. The closest competitor is a
Boater's World not convenient for me to get to.

Sherwin D.

wrote:

I am looking for a place to purchase sailboat hardware/accessories at
the best price. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cate

Skip Gundlach

My apologies for having to do this from googlegroups, where I can't
properly quote or see where it lands in the tree (I'm on someone else'
wifi, so don't get my nntp feed), but..

what everybody else said, except that WorstMarine will match anyone
else' price in most cases. In my case, they're very much closer to the
boat, and conveniently very near HD and Lowes, two other frequent
stops, so that's my preference, particularly on the boat.

My modus (it helps to chat up the store manager first so you don't have
to do this from scratch each time) is to find my pricing, on more than
one site, copy the URLs and the price from each of the several best,
circling the lowest, and print it out.

All they need is something to show the home office. Very significant
case in point is the two spools of 3/4 Maxibraid I bought for a bit
under a buck a foot, where list is 2.35, and "commissioning program"
prices saved me 10% on that. 303Protectant at 48/gal, instead of their
65, etc.

No shipping (but I had to pay tax), and if it's in stock, I walk out
with it. To get the rolls was an order deal, as was my large swim
platform, but it just came from the warehouse and that was it.

Hope that helps...

L8R

Skip

Park Place wreck Lee Huddleston Cruising 2 February 19th 06 11:16 PM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 January 18th 06 05:48 AM
Sailboat do-over! Capt. Rob ASA 24 January 11th 06 11:55 PM
Hey Oz - great place to stay near Tahoe Capt. JG ASA 0 January 9th 06 05:04 AM
Refurbished Sailboat tracebility Denis Marier Boat Building 1 November 26th 05 03:52 PM