Roger Long

Default Boat Broker Question ...

Thomas (or is it Jasper as I see in your first post that started this
thread),

Buying even a modest cruising boat and turning it into a safe,
reliable, and going concern is a complex and expensive process.
Certain personality traits have a lot of bearing on the outcome
because doing it successfully covers a wide range of sills. Many of
them are not technical. Dealing with the broker (who works only for
the seller and has a legal duty to represent only the seller's
interests), surveyors, boatyards, etc., productively involves
interpersonal skills and business sense that are often at odds with
the impulses that make people want to get far out in a small craft
away from society. There is a lot that can go wrong so patience and
reasonableness are vital.

I'm always very interested in the human factors. What small insight I've
gained from your posts makes me absolutely fascinated to see if you
ever actually get a boat and start cruising in it. I hope you will
continue to keep us informed of your progress and post some pictures
somewhere when you close the sale.

--

Roger Long

Thomas Wentworth

Roger,,, before I jump at the first boat, I will look at as many boats as
possible. Remember, it is winter up here in the great white north.
Looking at boats that are covered with shrink wrap is not so easy. Also,
while I know what I want there are numerous versions of that style boat.
And one more thing ... it is fun looking at boats. I have learned so much
in just the short time I have lurked here. The internet is a University of
Marine Education. Thanks to all the posters, who post about just about
everything and anything, I am a much more informed buyer. A smart buyer is
not an impulsive buyer.

ps.. have you been to the Titanic memorial in New York City. I stumbled
upon it one day. I believe it is on the east side of Manhattan.

[[[[

"Roger Long" wrote in message
[...]

Don White

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
Roger,,, before I jump at the first boat, I will look at as many boats as
possible. Remember, it is winter up here in the great white north.
Looking at boats that are covered with shrink wrap is not so easy. Also,
while I know what I want there are numerous versions of that style boat.
And one more thing ... it is fun looking at boats. I have learned so much
in just the short time I have lurked here. The internet is a University of
Marine Education. Thanks to all the posters, who post about just about
everything and anything, I am a much more informed buyer. A smart buyer is
not an impulsive buyer.

ps.. have you been to the Titanic memorial in New York City. I stumbled
upon it one day. I believe it is on the east side of Manhattan.

Better yet....
has Roger been to *all* the Titanic sites, displays gravesites etc. in
Halifax?
http://titanic.gov.ns.ca/hfxdisplays.html
Roger Long

"Don White" wrote Better yet....
has Roger been to *all* the Titanic sites, displays gravesites etc.
in Halifax?
http://titanic.gov.ns.ca/hfxdisplays.html

No. I'm not one of the "Titaniacs". I was hired to see what a
professional taking a fresh look without the preconceptions and
positions of many who have studied the wreck for years would make of
the expedition's findings. I've been to bow, stern, and farther south
to the limits of the debris field than any but a handful of people.

I haven't been to any other Titanic sites.

--

Roger Long

Ryk

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:29:27 GMT, in message

"Roger Long" wrote:

I'm always very interested in the human factors. What small insight I've
gained from your posts makes me absolutely fascinated to see if you
ever actually get a boat and start cruising in it. I hope you will
continue to keep us informed of your progress and post some pictures
somewhere when you close the sale.

I too am interested to see where others get into personal difficulties
in buying boats. My own experience is limited (three cruising boats,
one private, one brokered, one via eBay) but entirely positive. The
only time I felt a little screwed over was a private sale that fell
through because, after we agreed on a price, the owner wouldn't commit
to closing until he made a deal on his next boat.

I'm not very good at the bargaining process face to face, so I would
rather work through a broker for comfort, but a private deal can work
out better financially -- certainly did for my current boat.

Ryk