Rich Hampel

Default water tank repair-west system epoxy or fiberglass resin

Epoxy is best but you need an FDA rated grade for POTABLE water .....
--- kind of hard to find. If you dont use a rated for potable water
the leachables from the epoxy can be harmful.

In article , krj
wrote:

I need to repair a leaking seam on my fiberglass water tank. Somewhere I
think I read not to use epoxy in a water tank. Is this correct? Should
only fiberglass resin be used inside a fresh water tank?
krj

Da Kine

I've never heard that before. Do you know that for sure or is it
something you just heard? I am about to build a new tank in my boat too
and this would be a big chunk of info to find out.

Rich Hampel

I engineer pharmaceutical/biotech process water, etc. systems.
FDA approved/listed epoxy resin for potable water is the ONLY method to
be used. Leachables from most resins are a BIG problem in potable
water systems. Even when I use food grade epoxy, I recirculate/strip
all the leached monomers through a carbon bed stripper system for a few
months, etc.

Rich Hampel wrote:

I engineer pharmaceutical/biotech process water, etc. systems.
FDA approved/listed epoxy resin for potable water is the ONLY method to
be used. Leachables from most resins are a BIG problem in potable
water systems. Even when I use food grade epoxy, I recirculate/strip
all the leached monomers through a carbon bed stripper system for a few
months, etc.

Can you give me the name/manf. of an FDA approved epoxy that I can use?
krj
Da Kine

Well, I just called Joes Auto body and marine supply and your are
right. They are going to order me some FDA epoxy - WOW I have so many
buddies that have made it with the cheap stuff I fear what will happen
when I mention it....

Thanks for the good info - and in time to save me a bundle of trouble.

Mic

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 06:30:48 GMT, Rich Hampel
wrote:

Epoxy is best but you need an FDA rated grade for POTABLE water .....
--- kind of hard to find. If you dont use a rated for potable water
the leachables from the epoxy can be harmful.

FWIW see link
http://dan.pfeiffer.net/10m/water_tank_refit.htm