Thomas Wentworth

Default Montreal Cruising Question

If you are taking a sailboat up the St Lawrence River from Lake Ontario to
the Atlantic ..

I have been to Montreal many times. The St Lawrence River is very fast,
with a strong current when standing along the edge in the old port area of
Montreal. How do cruising boat get past Montreal? I'm sure there are
canals, but if you have done this could you tell me.

Thanks,,

Thomas

Wayne.B

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 14:59:14 GMT, "Thomas Wentworth"
wrote:

If you are taking a sailboat up the St Lawrence River from Lake Ontario to
the Atlantic ..

I have been to Montreal many times. The St Lawrence River is very fast,
with a strong current when standing along the edge in the old port area of
Montreal. How do cruising boat get past Montreal? I'm sure there are
canals, but if you have done this could you tell me.

Going north east on the St Lawrence River/Seaway, you end up at the
south west end of Lake St Louis. The Seaway locks take you well south
of the city and skirt the southern edge of Lake St Louis until you
rejoin the main flow of the river somewhere near the old worlds fair
site if my memory is correct.

By all means get all of the charts in advance and study them
carefully. Depths are given in meters which can be disconcerting if
you are not used to it. The navigation marks for the Seaway channels
are huge and also take some getting used to. They are designed more
for the 740 ft freighters that you will be sharing the water with.

Do not under any circumstances enter a lock without explicit
permission from the lockmaster. The ships have priority and are built
exactly to the size of the locks. If you get in their way it will be
an *unfortunate* situation for all concerned.

More info he

http://www.greatlakes-seaway.com/en/aboutus/lcc.html