Gordon

Default Man dies in capsizing

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stori....4aa9b54f.html

Sailboat knockdown near Seattle

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee, and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Capt. JG

"Gordon" wrote in message

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stori....4aa9b54f.html

Sailboat knockdown near Seattle

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee,
and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Why don't you paraphrase the story... you have to register to read the page.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Gordon

Basically, the 25' sailboat was knocked down in stiff winds. Three men,
one woman aboard. Two of the men went overboard without life jackets. One of
the men was in the water about an hour before they got him out. Coastguard
helo to hospital. DOA
Boat righted itself.
Gordon
BTW, I'm guessing water was somewhat under 50 F at this time of year.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Gordon" wrote in message

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stori....4aa9b54f.html

Sailboat knockdown near Seattle

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee,
and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Why don't you paraphrase the story... you have to register to read the

page.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG

Sheesh... bad news! Where was the boat? Wonder why it took so long to
retrieve the MOB... shouldn't take more than a few minutes unless you lose
sight of him or you have no clue.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Gordon" wrote in message

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stori....4aa9b54f.html

Sailboat knockdown near Seattle

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee,
and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Why don't you paraphrase the story... you have to register to read the

page.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Larry

"Capt. JG" wrote in news:11tqb777e8mft28
@corp.supernews.com:

you have no clue

Try this and see how you come out.....

Take out your usual crew of people, some partially sailors, some not, don't
do anything special or try to add qualified members to your little
assemblage.

Take her out in the harbor to a big open area with few boats you might
endanger.

Jump overboard from your lofty helm perch and start frantically screaming
and waving your arms in distress. Click the stopwatch on your diver's
Rolex Oyster to time this event.

Watch the reaction from back aboard by your crack crew of wife, kids,
friends, business associates and those still drinking your beer.

How long was it before they got her turned around and came effortlessly
alongside your position to retrieve you, using the finest navigation and
methods of retrieval?

Look up and down your dock. How many wives and teenagers are qualified
sailors and helmsmen on all those other dock condos on your particular
dock. How many wives have NEVER handled the boat by themselves?

See why it took so long?

Larry

Larry wrote in news:Xns975AEE52D24E4noonehomecom@
208.49.80.253:

See why it took so long?

Ok, now let's assume you've survived that first test. Tell them your arms
are broken and they'll have to dock the boat back at your slip without you.
Go below and lay in your AFT berth until you can be hauled to the hospital
ashore.....

Under no circumstances get out of that berth until they get AC power hooked
back up to your boat and you can hear the battery charger humming. That's
fair, right?

Is your liability policy paid up-to-date?...(c

Peter HK

"Larry" wrote in message

Try this and see how you come out.....

Take out your usual crew of people, some partially sailors, some not,

Take her out in the harbor to a big open area with few boats you might
endanger.

Jump overboard from your lofty helm perch and start frantically screaming
and waving your arms in distress. Click the stopwatch on your diver's
Rolex Oyster to time this event.

Watch the reaction from back aboard by your crack crew of wife, kids,
friends, business associates and those still drinking your beer.

How long was it before they got her turned around and came effortlessly
alongside your position to retrieve you, using the finest navigation and
methods of retrieval?

I've actually experienced this scenario almost exactly, though it was my
crazy brother- not me- who dived off the boat unexpectedly, and it was not
in a "big open area with few boats"

We were heading out for a race, had just hoisted the mainsail when the winch
barrel on an old Barlow 16 winch popped of and rolled over the side (they
had a spring loaded retaining mechanism which was hopeless). The crew
consisted of my brother and myself (both with many years of racing and
cruising experience) and a friend who had been out sailing a couple of
times.

As the winch barrel rolled over, out of the corner of my eye, I saw my
brother dive in after it! We were in the middle of the channel leading out
of the boat harbour with maybe 10-12 other boats heading out to the start- a
few had to dodge him. He had actually grabbed it and was holding the winch
barrel aloft like a prize.

After the first few seconds of stunned disbelief, I explained to Graeme, my
inexperienced crewman, how to drop the mainsail, we dropped it, started the
diesel (there was no manoeuvring room in the channel to sail) and motored
back to get my idiot brother. Total time about 3 minutes.

I had been planning to replace that crappy old winch for some time, but,
because it was there, hadn't bothered. It would have been an ideal
opportunity- but it was still there when I sold the boat a couple of years
later.

Surprisingly, I still go sailing with my brother.

Peter HK

News f2s

"Larry" wrote in message

pruned

Jump overboard from your lofty helm perch and start frantically
screaming
and waving your arms in distress. Click the stopwatch on your
diver's
Rolex Oyster to time this event.

How long was it before they got her turned around and came
effortlessly
alongside your position to retrieve you, using the finest
navigation and
methods of retrieval?

As a matter of interest, do all US boats have boarding/bathing
ladders?

In the nice warm Mediterranean, most boats do. Easily the best and
quickest aid to getting someone aboard in most circumstances.

In the cold waters of UK, they're rare. Perverse? 'Blow up that
dinghy - Fast!'

JimB

Evan Gatehouse

Larry wrote:

Take out your usual crew of people, some partially sailors, some not, don't
do anything special or try to add qualified members to your little
assemblage.

Take her out in the harbor to a big open area with few boats you might
endanger.

Jump overboard from your lofty helm perch and start frantically screaming
and waving your arms in distress. Click the stopwatch on your diver's
Rolex Oyster to time this event.

I fell overboard last summer. We had 15 people aboard for a daysail
(it's a 40' catamaran so deck space is not a problem).

We were towing the dinghy and one oar had been left in an oarlock that
was dragging in the water. I pulled the dinghy alongside as my wife
was steering the big boat, motoring at about 6 knots. I hopped in the
dinghy, one hand holding onto the big boat, one reaching down for the
oar.

The dinghy sheered off at the bow, tilting me too far over, and I was
in the water, head first. The dinghy immediately took off astern. As
I looked up from underwater heading for the surface, I saw the dinghy
coming above me. I reached up, grabbed one of the handles on the
side, and flipped myself in. I then *carefully* pulled myself up to
the big boat by pulling on the painter and climbed aboard.

Nobody had noticed that I had fallen in, though it only took about 15
seconds from the splash, to my reappearance on the aft deck. Somebody
noticed I was dripping wet and asked when I had gone swimming. If I
hadn't caught the dinghy, I had planned to be yelling very loudly when
I surfaced!

However I have every confidence that my wife would have recovered me
in under 5 minutes in just about every condition. But we've sailed a
long way together.

Evan Gatehouse
rhys

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 23:25:26 -0500, Larry wrote:

Look up and down your dock. How many wives and teenagers are qualified
sailors and helmsmen on all those other dock condos on your particular
dock. How many wives have NEVER handled the boat by themselves?

See why it took so long?

April 29 we launch. By May 5 I want to have the mast in and the wife
backing the boat out and me just taking notes. We plan on living
aboard in a very few years and we need to close the gap between her
decent but scattered experience and my more methodical approach.

R.

OT--Arial Sharon dies NOYB General 17 January 6th 06 10:41 PM
Don Smith, Dockmaster of Bimini Big Game Club, dies in Chaulks Crash Ed General 0 December 23rd 05 03:14 AM
Don Smith, Dockmaster of Bimini Big Game Club, dies in Chaulks Crash Ed Cruising 0 December 23rd 05 03:14 AM
Engine dies. Bayman1 General 3 November 7th 05 02:53 PM