Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Skip Gundlach

Default Weatherfax software opinion sought

Below is a crib from the Island Packet mailing list I monitor, and my
response:

WeatherFAX basics by Mike Trautman, K9MLT

I've been exploring the WeatherFax system because I would like to get
these valuable weather graphics and photos while far from shore on my
sailboat, Island Princess. We sailors can't do anything about the weather,
but knowing what is coming and having some indication how bad it is, and how
long it will last can make a sailing voyage much more pleasant for captian
and crew.

Hams and Marine SSB users have radios that work well with this system, but
it's also possilbe to utilize this great resource with an inexpensive Single
Side Band receiver and a laptop computer's sound card input!

Some of the graphics availabe include: Surface analysis, Wind/Wave
forcasts, Cyclone/Storm, High Wind/Waves, Wave period/direction, and
Photographic satelite images. You can view currwnr examples of these
graphics on the Internet at the New Orleans site:

http://weather.noaa.gov/fax/gulf.shtml

Here's the main NOAA URL for WeatherFax, also called WeFax or RadioFax

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/radiofax.htm

The frequencies of the U.S. stations broadcasting WeatherFax are listed
toward the bottom of the URL. Scroll down to see them.

I've been dialing in to broadcasts from Boston and New Orleans.

Example: New Orleans -

New Orleans (NMG) 4317.9, 8503.9, 12789.9, 17146.4(12,18Z) kHz

IMPORTANT! - The frequency is for USB and the actual tuning on my reciever
is the listed frequency minus 1.9 Hz, Therefore New Orlean's 4317.9 comes in
on 4316.0 USB.

From Central Illinois, I've been getting good reception on 17m and 20m
during the day and mediocre reception on 40m and 80m at night.

The schedule starts at 00:00/12:00 for New Orleans (CST) and 01:00/13:00
for Boston (CST). It can take 30 minutes for the larger files to transmit.

The software I've been using is SeaTTY. It's a free download at:

http://www.dxsoft.com/seatty.htm

They ask for a $35 registration fee if you like the software. Which I plan
on doing. There are other sources for software (and hardware) listed on the
main NOAA site.

I use a 1/8" male/male stereo plug, from the earphone jack of my Yeasu
FD857d transceiver directly to the Mic jack on my laptop. So far I haven't
seen any particular effect from changing the record volume in Windows. It
took me some experimentation to realize I did not need my TNC in the loop at
all. The manufacturers do not make this option clear while describing their
product.

I think you could use any receiver that can receive Single Side Band
broadcasts. A fancy Ham rig is not needed. Note: for about $250 you can buy
a dedicated "WeatherFax" receiver that will connect to your computer, or
even direct to a printer and eliminate some hardware. For non Hams and
boaters who don't have Marine SSB aboard, a "YachtBoy" SSB portable
receiver, with a good external antenna would probably do the job, .

Tip: The software allows you to fine "tune" the frequency even when AFC is
turned on. You can move the red vertical lines so one lines up with the peak
in the spectrum display and improve the resulting graphic's sharpness a bit.

I'm NEW to this technology, so don't take my word as gospel. But do check
out the technology if you would like your own weather information out where
the Weather Channel doesn't reach!

Happy Sailing!

Mike Trautman, K9MLT
s/v Island Princess,
Island Packet, 27/9
Sarasota, FL

Listees, this is very timely for me, as we're just about to get our HF
radio gear, going with the Icom M-802 and the MMSI antenna. We already have
a satellite picture capture hardware setup - which allows us to see ~1/hour
45* downlook picture from a satellite overhead. That, of course, will give
us a very good representation of what's around us, covering lots of ground.
However, there's no intelligence along with that - just a great ability to
(if we record them) make a visual track of what any particular weather
system is doing.

For intelligence, our supplier, Steve Bowden, of Sea Tech Systems, has
recommended Xaxero WeatherFax 2000 - USB, a dedicated program. No doubt
there are lots of bells and whistles in this $199 program - but not having
used any, let alone this and the referred one, I can't speak to the merits
of either.

Is there anyone here who's used the Xax, and can give me a reason to spend
that vs the shareware Mike recommends?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
http://tinyurl.com/384p2 The vessel as Tehamana, as we bought her

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Formsys Maxsurf v11, other Naval Architecture Software, Marine Architecture Software, ship design software, boat building, Maxsurf Pro 9.52 (and Addons), Autoship 8.xx (and Addons), Proteus.Engineering.FastShip.v­6.1.25, HYDROSOFT NAVCAD 4.23.0061, S [email protected] Boat Building 0 January 13th 06 11:01 PM
I just don't understand why... Suds \(Popeye's friend\) General 72 December 16th 05 03:42 PM
Chart Display Software on PC Lloyd General 0 November 21st 05 06:24 PM
Garmin software JIm Cruising 0 November 6th 05 03:59 PM
Antsoft Best domain software Vasilisa General 0 October 5th 05 05:39 PM