Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Roger Long

Default DSC GPS input

Now that all new VHF radios have the GPS input, it seems that there
should be a little GPS box the just puts out the NMEA signal with no
other functions. You could then use the output from your main GPS for
something else and have the radio’s readout for a position back up.

Come to think of it, do those little GPS units sold to plug into
laptop computers for street maps speak NMEA?

I have an old aviation Garmin GPS 90 that has the same plug as my
GPSMAP 76. It outputs:

NMEA 0180 and 0182

0183 Version 1.5

Approved sentences:

GPBWC, GPGLL, GPRMB, GPRMC, GPXTE, GPVTE, GPWPL

NMEA 0183 Version 2.0

Approved sentences:

GPGGA, GPGLL, GPGSA, GPGSV, GPRMB, GPRMC, GPRTE, GPWPL

Can anyone tell me if this would work with the DSC radio? Spending its
retirement inputting position to the VHF might be a good use for this
box. I could then take my 76 back to the helm without losing the DSC
connection. Besides, if I want to know the location of the nearest
airport, I’ll be all set

--

Roger Long