Larry

Default Great day for racing!

CORA, the Charleston Ocean Racing Association, is holding its annual
Frostbite #1 sailboat race at 1PM, today.

Somebody screwed up! Normally CORA race days are a great time to get out
the dingy and row across the harbor on really flat water. But, not
today:

413 AM EST SAT JAN 14 2006
....WIND ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON...
A STRONG PRESSURE GRADIENT IN THE WAKE OF A FAST MOVING COLD
FRONTAL PASSAGE OVERNIGHT HAS DEVELOPED ACROSS THE REGION THIS
MORNING. THIS PATTERN IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE DURING THE DAY AS
HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS INTO THE REGION. WINDY CONDITIONS ARE
ANTICIPATED ACROSS SOUTHEAST GEORGIA AND SOUTHERN SOUTH CAROLINA.
GUSTY WEST WINDS FROM 25 TO 35 MPH CAN BE EXPECTED WITH GUSTS TO
40 MPH AT TIMES...

I'm sailing with Joe Nuttall on "Stray Dog" and old Endeavour 35 in the
cruiser class. Looks like we're finally gonna have enough wind to get
the bowspirit over the start and finish lines on the same day!....(c;

It's gonna be cold...around 50F. Wear warm gear and drink plenty of rum.

Joe's over 60, my age. He's got some strong, young bodies lined up for
the sheet work. Me, I'll be hangin' off the rail....263 pounds of over-
the-side ballast...(c;

It's gonna be a great day sailing in Charleston....

Larry

Default Great day for racing! The horrid followup.

Larry wrote in news:Xns974B55B1C24E9noonehomecom@
208.49.80.253:

Somebody screwed up!

Well, we came, we saw, we got conquered!

First leg went very well and we took off like a shot bumping 10 knots in
the old Endeavour 35 downwind. God it feels great to look BACK to see
the other boats for a change...(c;

AS we approached the last bouy out before Ft Sumter at the mouth of the
harbor, we were into 5' seas, a tide just dragging everyone into the bouy
going the same direction as 40 knot winds, gusting to 45 or so. On the
third attempt to round the bouy, after a couple of brushes where
broaching was being discussed in the cockpit, against all this, THE MAIN
BLEW OUT, even double reefed! Hauling that down proved a real problem as
the little 3cyl Yanmar was near powerless to point the damned boat into
the wind with everything flapping and it simply peeled us off course a
couple of times at full throttle, black smoke pouring out the exhaust.
Pointed into the wind with the Yanmar winding up over 3000 RPM, we were
going BACKWARDS!...(c; The deck crew finally got the main remnants down
and lashed to the boom and I got relief trying to keep the mostly furled
jib sheets from knocking someone overboard up on deck.

Furling the 30% of the jib that was out required the biggest winch in the
cockpit. We saved that. It's fine.

Motoring home, we had to TACK! The 3 cyl Yanmar was just powerless
against the hull and rigging drag in the gale! We finally got back into
calmer waters up the Ashley River past the Battery and that's when I
pointed out that on both port and starboard shrouds there were BROKEN
STRANDS. It's a wonder we didn't lose the mast.

Discounting the thousands of dollars in repairs Cap'n Joe was moaning
about while smiling from ear to ear and briefing us on what NOT to tell
his wife back at the Charleston Yacht Club bar...everyone had a great,
very exciting time. We migrated from the stoic CYC to a nice little bar
with great fish and chips on Vendue Range across the peninsula where I
met this wonderful little creature who is about 5' 1" tall, maybe 90
pounds and all the days' dangers seemed to just slip away into the glass
in front of me.

What a great day...and night....sailing....(c;

Ah, Ben-Gay....it helps the hurt.

Wayne.B

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:49:26 -0500, Larry wrote:

Ah, Ben-Gay....it helps the hurt.

It won't do much for your social life though.

Jere Lull

In article ,
Larry wrote:

Well, we came, we saw, we got conquered!

Definitely not the best day of sailing.....

But it coulda been worse:

and that's when I pointed out that on both port and starboard shrouds
there were BROKEN STRANDS. It's a wonder we didn't lose the mast.

Just in case, I would start rebuilding your karmic "bank" balance.

--
Jere Lull

Great Boats Gary ASA 32 November 15th 05 02:09 AM
Great price on chain and rope beaufortnc Cruising 0 November 14th 05 02:09 PM
do you have something to sell (or want to buy) useful to the folks doing the great circle loop? noone cares Cruising 0 October 9th 05 12:32 PM