Wayne.B

Default where do you store the spinnaker pole?

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 10:26:24 GMT, scudding along
wrote:

On a magnificent 23' sailing yacht,.. where do you store the pole?

==================

A lot of people clip the aft end to one of the shrouds. That is
usually enough to secure it. When racing I like to leave it hooked
up, clipped to the mast ring, and lowered to the deck. We used a
velcro strap to secure the topping lift back near the mast to keep it
clear while tacking the jib.

d parker

wrote:

On a magnificent 23' sailing yacht,.. where do you store the pole?

==================

A lot of people clip the aft end to one of the shrouds. That is
usually enough to secure it. When racing I like to leave it hooked
up, clipped to the mast ring, and lowered to the deck. We used a
velcro strap to secure the topping lift back near the mast to keep it
clear while tacking the jib.

Do you find the windage and turbulence has a negative effect on your
windward performance this way?

DP

Wayne.B

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 11:07:14 +1100, "d parker"
wrote:

Do you find the windage and turbulence has a negative effect on your
windward performance this way?

============================

Nothing that is significant enough to notice. It dramatically
improves the speed of getting the pole ready for a spinnaker hoist
however, and also the speed of getting the foredeck clear to tack
after a spinnaker take down and jib hoist. We also found that it went
a long way towards preventing mistakes which can be very costly. One
of my other pole handling innovations was to rig an internal shock
cord system inside the pole to automatically retract the topping lift
pennant back to the mast end. All of this assumes dip pole jibes
where the same end is always attached to the mast.

I'm talking about short course, round-the-buoys racing of course. On
a distance race where you are about to head upwind for many hours I
would probably stow the pole unless it was at night when the risk of
mistakes is higher.

where do you store the spinnaker pole? Rick Cruising 0 January 2nd 06 03:10 PM
where do you store the spinnaker pole? d parker Cruising 0 January 2nd 06 12:44 PM
Whisker pole length Roger Long Cruising 4 December 31st 05 04:15 PM
sailing store Jeff ASA 1 November 3rd 05 03:38 PM
spinnaker for sale just me Cruising 0 October 31st 05 03:49 PM