Robert or Karen Swarts

Default About Sail Care

I just received six sails back from Sail Care, a sail reconditioning outfit
in Ford City, PA. I do not normally endorse vendors, but these people did
such a fine job restoring and rebuilding my sails, and at a very affordable
price, that I felt I should mention them. If you have some old sails in need
of help, or simply want them to look bright and shiny again, contact them at
www.sailcare.com or call at 800-433-7245.

Bob Swarts

What exactly do they do to old sails?

What exactly do they do to old sails?
OK, I looked over their site but want more info. Do they do anything
about re-cutting old sails to take care of stretch over the years?
Is there any way I can evaluate my old sails to see if they are useful?

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 08:09:47 -0800, "Robert or Karen Swarts"
wrote:

I just received six sails back from Sail Care, a sail reconditioning outfit
in Ford City, PA. I do not normally endorse vendors, but these people did
such a fine job restoring and rebuilding my sails, and at a very affordable
price, that I felt I should mention them. If you have some old sails in need
of help, or simply want them to look bright and shiny again, contact them at
www.sailcare.com or call at 800-433-7245.

Bob Swarts

Yes, I've heard other positive reviews about Sailcare and only one comment
that the money would have been better spent on new sails. I'd have used
them but was concerned about the turnaround time. Down here in Central
Texas we sail most year around so I'd hate to be without sails for a long
time and Sailcare won't take reservations or guarantee a return time. How
long did yours take?
Robert or Karen Swarts

Mine took about two months including some fairly extensive repairs to one of
the mains. But I did not plan to sail this winter and emphasized that time
was NOT of the essence.

I can also vouch for Commodore Joe's comments that they are nice people to
deal with, and that a simple telephone call gets you right to the man you
need to talk to.

BS

wrote:

[...]

wrote:

I just received six sails back from Sail Care, a sail reconditioning outfit
in Ford City, PA. I do not normally endorse vendors, but these people did
such a fine job restoring and rebuilding my sails, and at a very affordable
price, that I felt I should mention them. If you have some old sails in need
of help, or simply want them to look bright and shiny again, contact them at
www.sailcare.com or call at 800-433-7245.

Bob Swarts

Yes, I've heard other positive reviews about Sailcare and only one comment
that the money would have been better spent on new sails. I'd have used
them but was concerned about the turnaround time. Down here in Central
Texas we sail most year around so I'd hate to be without sails for a long
time and Sailcare won't take reservations or guarantee a return time. How
long did yours take?

Central Texas? Send Sailcare your sails in the middle of the summer whenthey
are standing around with nothing to do. You'll probably get them back very fast.
Winter is their "busy" season.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Hmm, I don't think you know Central Texas very well. We're just north of
Austin and sail every week during the summer when there is enough wind and
no rain. Temperature is not a problem. Sure there are 95+ temps but the
humidity is fairly low and if there is enough wind to sail then heat is not
a problem. But in the winter we get a lot of days in December and January
below 70 - not good for sailing. ;-(

I called Sailcare a couple of years ago and inquired about their turnaround
time. The person I talked to would make no guarantees at all. Not at all
accommodating. I did not feel encouraged to deal with them then but have
still wondered how they might have been.

Kathy Mumma

Just sent my sails to SailCare last week to take advantage of discount.
New sailor, 1988 Catalina 22, probably original sails in not too bad
condition.
I'll let you know cost to have them returned.
I am in PA, so we won't have it in water until March/April at least.

Kathy on "Quiet Time"