Bryan

Default Sailing from Florida to California

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message
. ..
Bryan wrote:
"Dave" wrote ...
"Bryan" said:

If a sailboat leaves Miami at 5 knots per hour, how fast will it be
going when it reaches Panama?

Impossible to determine without knowing its starting speed.

Starting speed: 0 Knots.

Can you give an instance when this is _not_ the case? Every time I've
started a trip I've experienced a starting speed of roughly zero knots.
give
or take.

Let's see. Tied up at the slip with a current running bow to stern and the
knot meter reads something above zero knots. Does that count?

Don White

Bryan wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

On 30 Nov 2005 19:30:39 -0800, "TabbyCat" said:

5 knots per hour

?????

If a sailboat leaves Miami at 5 knots per hour, how fast will it be going
when it reaches Panama?

Depends on the wind of course.... anywhere from 1 knot to the hull speed.
Bryan

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 15:31:38 GMT, "Bryan" said:

If a sailboat leaves Miami at 5 knots per hour, how fast will it be
going
when it reaches Panama?

Impossible to determine without knowing its starting speed.

Starting speed: 0 Knots.

40 years ago, when integral calculus was fresh in my mind, I could have
told
you quickly how to derive the answer, assuming that the top speed of the
vessel were unlimited. Prolly still could figure it out if I sat down for
bit, but it's not worth the effort.

The simple answer, of course, is that the top speed of the vessel is not
unlimited, so it would be going at that top speed.

The fun would be to assume 5 knots per hour and assume a total number of
hours to get from Miami to Panama and assume no top speed. Otherwise,
where's the fun.
So that would be 5 knots at 1 hour, 10 knots at 2 hours, ...
Just need to know how many hours or NM to Panama.

Jeff

I think its rather simple.

if you start a velocity = 0, then
d = .5 * a * t ^^2

The straight line from Miami (lat 26 N), to Panama (9 N) is just about
1000 miles, and the acceleration is 5 knots per hour, or 5 m/hour^^2.

Plugging in:
1000 = .5 * 5 * t^^2
400 = t^^2
t = 20 hours.

At that time, the final speed will be 100 knots.

Bryan wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Larry

Jeff wrote in :

At that time, the final speed will be 100 knots.

At that speed, if we lay the mast out horizontally, we'll be able to FLY
over the canal, bypassing all the ripoff fees, bureaucrats and other vermin
sucking the boater's wallet flat.

Will the mainsheet act like an aileron??...(c;

Bryan

"Cindy Ballreich" wrote in message
Armond Perretta wrote:
Bryan wrote:

"Dave" wrote ...

"Bryan" said:

If a sailboat leaves Miami at 5 knots per hour, how fast will it be
going when it reaches Panama?

Impossible to determine without knowing its starting speed.

Starting speed: 0 Knots.

Can you give an instance when this is _not_ the case? Every time I've
started a trip I've experienced a starting speed of roughly zero knots.
give
or take.

When you have to back out of the slip! -0.25 knots!

No, no, no! Remember, there is a current running bow to stern, so backing
out of the slip will only reduce the forward velocity, again bringing us
back, possibly, to a starting velocity of zero.

Bryan

"Don White" wrote in message
Bryan wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

On 30 Nov 2005 19:30:39 -0800, "TabbyCat" said:

5 knots per hour

?????

If a sailboat leaves Miami at 5 knots per hour, how fast will it be going
when it reaches Panama?

Depends on the wind of course.... anywhere from 1 knot to the hull speed.

Don, we're not limited by hull speed in this case. Why not? Because a hull
speed limitation would take the fun out of the equation.

Jeff

Bryan wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message
Bryan wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

On 30 Nov 2005 19:30:39 -0800, "TabbyCat" said:

5 knots per hour
?????

If a sailboat leaves Miami at 5 knots per hour, how fast will it be going
when it reaches Panama?

Depends on the wind of course.... anywhere from 1 knot to the hull speed.

Don, we're not limited by hull speed in this case. Why not? Because a hull
speed limitation would take the fun out of the equation.

I can work it out using "c" as hull speed.

Jeff wrote:
Bryan wrote:
"Don White" wrote
Bryan wrote:
If a sailboat leaves Miami at 5 knots per hour,
how fast will it be going when it reaches Panama?
Depends on the wind of course.... anywhere from 1 knot
to the hull speed.

Don, we're not limited by hull speed in this case.
Why not? Because a hull speed limitation would take
the fun out of the equation.

I can work it out using "c" as hull speed.

It would be more fun if we can go faster than c
and get younger everyday.
Nigel

Can you give an instance when this is _not_ the case? Every time I've
started a trip I've experienced a starting speed of roughly zero knots.
give
or take.

most races start when you cross the start line, most crews like to be
underway as they cross it