Wayne.B

Default experience with water tank bladders?

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:13:47 GMT, water puppy wrote:

Hi, my small coastal cruiser came with a large plastic bladder that
looks like it might hold 25 gallons. Has anyone used something like
this? How did you install it? It has eyelets so it gets slung like a
hammock somewhere? Does it slosh? Should I put in a solid tank? I'm
going to try living aboard. Thanks as always.

======================================

I had a bladder tank on one of my old sailboats and it worked fine.
That said, they must be protected from chafing and sharp objects.

Do not try to sling it like a hammock. The eyelets are there so you
can secure it from sliding around.

beaufortnc

We have two in our boat. Our experience is that the molded in threads
to attach the fill line are very hard to get sealed up, and that is
likely to be the place that you get a leak. We finally siliconed the
threads before screwing the intake on, and that fixed the problem.

Other than that, no problems. No bad tastes in the water, even from a
new bladder.

Another bad thing is that since they are squirreled away, it is
impossible to know how full they are, and most products on the market
designed to read tank levels are not designed for this type of tank.

Anyone know a product that will read water levels from this type of
tank?

Thanks,

Mike.

Jere Lull

In article .com,
"beaufortnc" wrote:

Anyone know a product that will read water levels from this type of
tank?

Depending on how it's hung, you might like the Snake River gauges and
you'll have 3 other circuits for other tanks. We like ours though I have
to recalibrate it each season.

And the prototype probe for the metal diesel tank stopped working after
the first season. I'm draining the tank soon so I can send it back for
repair. It's not as if it's vital to our operation as we used a grand
total of 13 gallons last season and can estimate fuel burn to within a
gallon.

--
Jere Lull

Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM