Glenn Ashmore

Default NE Ropes 3 Premium strand

OK, this is probably going to bring down the wrath of some self appointed
Usenet police but I have been around r.b.c long enough to ask.

After receiving a number of requests I am thinking about expanding my line
to include rode along with my anchors. They will be New England Premium 3
strand and ACCO high test chain. I can move a few of drums of chain fairly
easily. My problem is I have to buy almost a mile of rope which makes me a
bit nervous.

Any of you guys interested in a few hundred feet of 5/8 or 3/4 3 strand at a
bit under full spool prices?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Wayne.B

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:41:44 -0500, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

Any of you guys interested in a few hundred feet of 5/8 or 3/4 3 strand at a
bit under full spool prices?

==================================

Not me at the moment but I am interested in finding a high quality,
galvanized, double jaw swivel capable of connecting my Spade S200 to
3/8 HT chain without sacrificing any strength (SWL 5500 lbs).

Glenn Ashmore

"Wayne.B" wrote

Not me at the moment but I am interested in finding a high quality,
galvanized, double jaw swivel capable of connecting my Spade S200 to
3/8 HT chain without sacrificing any strength (SWL 5500 lbs).

You and me both. I did get a lead yesterday from the guy at NE Rope and I
am going to track it down today. I'll let you know what I find out.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Wayne.B

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:05:41 -0500, "Garland Gray II"
wrote:

Do you really think a swivel is necessary ? Unless you are anchored for a
long time in a tidal current I wonder if it helps or hurts.

I have found it necessary with an all chain rode and a windlass. This
is my second boat with that combination and have ended up adding a
swivel both times to avoid chain hockling and to ensure that the
anchor comes up straight over the pulpit roller and in the right
orientation.

Glenn Ashmore

What worries me is that they give you pin diameters but never seem to come
out with the actual breaking strength of the swivel. I am going to have to
buy some samples and have a friend with a testing lab pull them for me
before I will sell them. A swivel for 3/8" chain should make it to at least
15,000 pounds and I will bet none that I have found will do it.

--

wrote:

Do you really think a swivel is necessary ? Unless you are anchored for a
long time in a tidal current I wonder if it helps or hurts.

I have found it necessary with an all chain rode and a windlass. This
is my second boat with that combination and have ended up adding a
swivel both times to avoid chain hockling and to ensure that the
anchor comes up straight over the pulpit roller and in the right
orientation.

Wayne.B

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:04:53 -0500, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

A swivel for 3/8" chain should make it to at least
15,000 pounds and I will bet none that I have found will do it.

==================================

I share your concern but have not yet found one that claims to have an
"HT" or G40 rating. I'll be interested to hear about your findings.

Once you go over the SWL rating there is no guarantee that it will
still swivel of course, but it would be nice to know that your boat is
still attached.

Keith

Check out the WASI Powerball line at:
http://www.swisstech-america.com/powerball.html

Wayne.B

On 30 Nov 2005 05:20:41 -0800, "Keith"
wrote:

Check out the WASI Powerball line at:
http://www.swisstech-america.com/powerball.html

Interesting.

Do they publish SWL and breaking strength specs?

Any US distributors?

Is their sizing in millimeters based on pin size or chain size?