Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mic

Default Bimini is made out of PVC

Sometime ago I made a usenet posting regarding building a Dodger from
ABS and not PVC.

Granted that such a system my not be for serious long blue water
cruising.

http://hamiii.sytes.net/Sailing/Boat...ts/bimini.html

The above is a bimini and not a dodger.

"By having it riding on the life lines I can move it back and forth as
need be."

This sailor has choosen to mount it on the lifelines, which is kind of
interesting. I havent given this much thought but :
"It hasn't been subjected to higher than about 30kn winds and even
then only for a few hours. No promises on how rugged it is but with
the price of PVC you'd have to fix it an awful lot of times (100s) to
pay the same as you would for a metal frame. Not to mention the whole
thing disassembles and fits in a bag which is only 6 inches in
diameter and about 4 feet long. It easily fits under the rail in the
quarter berth."

I guess the point is the cost vs utility?

From my research of many sailing logs of bluewater cruisers many opt
or subsequently suggest a hard dodger. I cant say I have ever seen a
soft dodger in its folded position other than in prep. for a hurricane
and even then some choose to remove it totally like the sail on the
furling.

The only issue I see with a hard dodger is the possible effect of the
righting momentium. Any thoughts on this? And what, in your opinion
are some of the other downsides of a hard dodger other than possibly
the change in look and lines of the vessel?

Fair Winds Mic

Amerika is Always at War jlrogers ASA 2 November 4th 05 09:20 PM
a bystanders view on the us noise that is made here jps General 213 November 2nd 05 09:34 PM
Observations made aboard a TomCat 255 [email protected] General 2 October 25th 05 01:01 AM
Alternator - Made in China [email protected] General 2 October 25th 05 12:32 AM