Mic

Default Free Ebooks for cruising at Gutenberg

http://www.bwsailing.com/01articles/...offnav0500.htm

The subject of this post is a direct quote from this ^^ article.

" Showdown in the South Atlantic

by Bill Biewenga

"When asked about my favorite books for competitive offshore sailors,
I often suggest Sun Tzu’s The Art of War."

///////////////////////////////////////

I was always sort of wondering Sun Tzu's book would relate to
sailing...I guess the articles opinion is one way of seeing it.

It was written about 2, 400 years ago....
And it is avaliable as a FREE DOWNLOAD AT THE gutenberg LINKS BELOW.

Ok here is some links that relate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_War

"The Art of War (Chinese: ????; pinyin: su-n zi( bi-ng fa(; literally
"Sun Tzu's Military Strategy") is a Chinese military treatise written
during the 6th century BC by Sun Tzu. Composed of 13 chapters, each of
which is devoted to one aspect of warfare, it has long been praised as
the definitive work on military strategies and tactics. It is one of
the most famous studies of strategy and has had a huge influence on
both military planning and beyond. First translated two hundred years
ago by a French missionary, The Art of War has been credited with
influencing Napoleon, the German General Staff, and even the planning
of Operation Desert Storm. Leaders as diverse as Mao Zedong and Giap
have claimed to have drawn inspiration from the work."

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/132/132.txt
335 KB download

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/132

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/132/132a-h/132a-h.htm

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/scores/top
Top 100 EBooks yesterday
************************************************** ********************************
For those cruising and doing a lot of reading the gutenberg could be a
source of reading material for you that could be downloaded before
your journey or along the way at internet cafes....
************************************************** ********************************

http://www.gutenberg.org/
For those of you unfamilar with the gutenberg link There are 17,000
free books in the Project Gutenberg Online Book Catalog.
Nearly 2 million ebooks downloaded each month.

Here are some of the latest most popular downloads:
# The Boy Mechanic: Volume 1 by Popular Mechanics (397)
# The Notebooks of Leonardo Da Vinci — Complete by Leonardo da Vinci
(361)
# Kamasutra by Vatsyayana (323)
# Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (291)
# The Art of War by ?? (275)
# Project Gutenberg "10K" DVD (260)
# The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (253)
# Meyers Konversationslexikon Band 15 by Various (230)
# The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (218)
# How to Speak and Write Correctly by Joseph Devlin (210)
# The Doré Gallery of Bible Illustrations, Complete (174)
# The Best American Humorous Short Stories (161)
# Amusements in Mathematics by Henry Ernest Dudeney (161)
# Ulysses by James Joyce (147)
# Modern Spanish Lyrics by Various (146)
# Vingt mille lieues sous les mers. English by Jules Verne (138)
# How To Write Special Feature Articles by Willard Grosvenor Bleyer
(138)
# Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob Grimm and Wilhelm Grimm (137)
# The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (136)
# The Divine Comedy by Dante, Illustrated, Hell, Complete by Dante
Alighieri (134)
# Little Journeys to the Homes of the Great — Volume 01 of 14 by
Elbert Hubbard (134)
# The Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce (133)
# Poems of William Blake by William Blake (129)
# Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (126)
# Paradise Lost by John Milton (118)

Mic - first sail in 1967
Larry

Speaking of ebooks, have you folks ever taken a look at the ebooks posted
to Usenet on groups that start with:
alt.binaries.e-book.-------------
?

I've been downloading thousands of neat ebooks that require very little
hard drive space in pdf format from alt.binaries.e-book.technical
newsgroup. There have been some marine service manuals posted there, too!

If you need the Continental Airlines Boeing 737 flight manual or are having
trouble with your Amtrak F59PHI locomotive and need the handbook...I have
them. Bored with mystery novels? How about a little more serious reading,
like:
Albert Einstein - Ether And The Theory Of Relativity
Algebraic Geometry Realization Of Quantum Hall Soliton
(Hey! Look! I made it past the copyright page on this one!)
Barnetts_Bicycle_Repair
(Bike broke on the dock? No problemo)
Budgeting for Managers 2003
(Didn't see anything about the boat budget, but the science is the same.)
Build.Your.Own.Fuel.Cells
(that's a whole set, btw)
burroughs, william s - naked scientology - an expose of this weird cult
(the technical part of this one is the E-meter Scientology uses as a lie
detector.)
Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot
(this was worth the wait)
Complete Idiots Guide to Playing the Guitar
(drive the wife crazy on your next cruise!)
Darwin Charles - Life and Letters
(Hey, you're at sea where it started, right?)
Distillation - Instrumentation and Control Systems
(make your own, right on board!)
DOE - Fundamental Handbooks - Nuclear Physics and Reactor Theory
(replace that pesky diesel with something REALLY dangerous)
Gale Encyclopedia of Psychology 2nd ed., 2001
(You never know when someone is going to go crazy in the waves, right?)
GPS_For_Dummies_2004_Wiley_RR
(Now THERE'S one a lot of boaters can use!)
Ham Radio For Dummies
(Want your ham license? Here's the course!)
International.Boat.Industry.Magazine.October.2005
(Lotsa mags you never see on the shelves at WalMart)
KING, Stephen - Dark Tower VII - The Dark Tower
(There's lots of novels, too, but on the novel group. This big novel is
only 4.2MB in e-book format)
Linux For Dummies, 6th Edition
(Fed up with Windows crashing?)
Modern.Military.Aircraft.5009.F-16.Viper
(I can't fly the F-16, yet, but I know from this where all the buttons are,
now!)
Motley Fool - Getting Started on Stock Market
(If you need this book, you don't need a broker, yet.)
Music Theory Is Not Nuclear Physics
(Obviously, this person never studied the accordion like I did.)

There's about 2000 new posts a week in technical....enjoy.

Ah, here it is....
e:\Ebooks\Physics Papers - Abhay Ashtekar (2000), Constructing Hamiltonian
Quantum Theories From Path Integrals In A Diffeomorphism Invariant
Context.pdf
I thought I lost it.....