Harlan Lachman

Default Which cities have ocean access?

In article Rpoef.1539$Rb.950@trndny01,
"WebColin" wrote:

I need to work, but I can do much of my consulting work remotely. I also
want a place that has snow cover most of the winter, culture within a couple
hour drive, etc. So, as you can see, I want to cross reference several
factors in looking for a good home.

Because I'm a novice, I'm quite ignorant on whether certain cities have
ocean access or not and how easy it is to get to and from the ocean from
those ports. I want to find out so I can limit my other searches to towns or
cities where I might have a slip off the end of my yard or within a
reasonably short drive.

You said a single book could cover just Nova Scotia. What if we limited it
to just a list of major towns and cities with ocean access?

Any suggestions? Harlan mad a good case for Burlington, which I must agree
is beautiful. Bil's list of ports also looks helpful.

Thanks,
Colin

"Don White" wrote in message
Aimee Shimlis wrote:
I'm very new to boating/sailing and want to move to a place where I will
be close to water with ocean access. I have not been able to find a
comprehensive list of U.S. (or global) cities or towns with ocean access.
I assume all cities on the ocean have access (or at least are near
access), but what about towns like Burlington, VT - can I sail north to
the Saint Lawrence or south down the Hudson and reach the ocean? Could I
get back the same way? What about Bangor, ME? Rochester, NY (and other
Great Lake towns)? etc.

Do I have to pay to use locks or would I have free access? Which channels
are navigable by sail versus which need power?

For any given town, I can look up if it has ports, but it's often hard to
tell if there is a 2-way route to sea. Also, I'm trying to find a list of
all towns with access, not just one at a time. Maybe I just need a good
set of charts which shows river currents and depth. Would they also show
ports? Is there a good book on cities with ocean access?

Are there other factors I need to consider in selecting a city/town with
a port?

Thanks so much,
Colin

Yikes! You could fill a book on Nova Scotia alone.
There are cruising guides for sale that describe sailing information on
ports for a particular area. Do you need to work..or are you retired?
http://ca.binnacle.com/online/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=13050

Colin, I noticed one person questioned your desire for ocean access. Any
new to boating/sailing person should even not think of going on the
ocean without ample training including Power Squadron's course and maybe
a course at one of the better sailing schools.

And definition of ocean can always be argued. But the most fun I have
had boating has been coastal ocean going off the coasts of Maine, Cape
Cod and Rhode Island. So, I think you are right to want to consider that
variable.

If, however, you find a lake where you want to live without such access,
you can always charter a boat or transport a boat to where you want. All
will not be lost.

Good luck

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?
Don White

WebColin wrote:
I need to work, but I can do much of my consulting work remotely. I also
want a place that has snow cover most of the winter, culture within a couple
hour drive, etc. So, as you can see, I want to cross reference several
factors in looking for a good home.

Because I'm a novice, I'm quite ignorant on whether certain cities have
ocean access or not and how easy it is to get to and from the ocean from
those ports. I want to find out so I can limit my other searches to towns or
cities where I might have a slip off the end of my yard or within a
reasonably short drive.

You said a single book could cover just Nova Scotia. What if we limited it
to just a list of major towns and cities with ocean access?

snip..

My next door neighbour makes a living as an Information Technology
consultant. He moved down from Ottawa with his Aloha 27.
http://www.halifaxinfo.com/
http://www.halifax.worldweb.com/
http://www.discoverysailing.com/pages/photos.html
Numerous other towns such as Lunenburg, Mahone bay, Chester etc.
Don't forget Baddeck on the Bras d'Or Lakes in Cape Breton.
http://baddeck.com/
Don White

Don White wrote:

snip..

My next door neighbour makes a living as an Information Technology
consultant. He moved down from Ottawa with his Aloha 27.
http://www.halifaxinfo.com/
http://www.halifax.worldweb.com/
http://www.discoverysailing.com/pages/photos.html
Numerous other towns such as Lunenburg, Mahone bay, Chester etc.
Don't forget Baddeck on the Bras d'Or Lakes in Cape Breton.
http://baddeck.com/

Just got this e-mail from an investment advisor who keeps spamming me
for my modest nestegg....
Read it, especially the Nova Scotia part...
How to Play a Part in Canada's Growth
Tuesday, November 15th, 2005
Baltimore, MD * Jackson, WY * Missoula, MT
In this Issue...

* Canadian Confidential: Part 3
* How to Play a Part in Canada's Growth
* Why Nova Scotia?
* How Does a Non-Resident Buy Property in Canada?

Quote of the Day
"Stripped of your ordinary surroundings, your friends, your daily
routines, your refrigerator full of food, your closet full of clothes -
with all this taken away, you are forced into direct experience. Such
direct experience inevitably makes you aware of who it is that is having
the experience. That's not always comfortable, but it is always
invigorating."

-Michael Crichton

Canadian Confidential: The Maritimes Project Series 1, Part 3
By Brooke Hall

Over the past few years, Canada has been looking much more attractive to
potential investors, retirees and companies. But why?

The blossoming, beautiful and mostly ignored girl-next-door, Canada has
begun turning some heads.

And strangely enough, with such gorgeous and immense scenery, Canada
warmly welcomes and graciously accepts more immigrants per capita
annually than even the Untied States. And even more so than the US,
Canadians seem to view their culture to be shaped by immigration.

How to make +61,438% on $650
Jerry writes...
Mike Schaefer wants you to enjoy those same gains. And he's willing to
make you a special offer: Get both of his highly successful investment
services, Secret Stock Files and the Pure Energy Report, for one low price.

In the coming weeks, Mike will be releasing his much anticipated Oil
Shock Insurance portfolio, which includes 6 "must-own" stocks every
investor should have for the winter.

Plus, he'll throw in 6 FREE reports, detailing his favorite natural
resource stocks right now.

To take advantage of this special offer, go to:
[Secret Stock Files & Pure Energy]

How to Play a Part in Canada's Growth

Buying real estate, even if you plan on keeping your US citizenship, is
easier than ever.

If you plan on only residing in Canada for less than 6 months each year,
you can open a bank account and buy real estate in most Canadian
provinces. (But if you plan on living there for more than 6 months in a
year, you must apply for Immigration Status.)

Moreover, Canada especially encourages potential investors and in order
to help this along, the government has instituted certain tax breaks and
incentives for foreign investors.

In the past 5 years Canada has outdone the US by recording an inflation
rate of only 2.2%.

And if you're not listening yet, better perk up!

The OECD (Organization of for Economic Co-operation and Development)
estimates Canada's growth to average 3.1% over the period of 2004-2006,
the leader among G7 members.

According to a report released November 2, 2005, employment in Canada
has jumped by an est. 69,000 in October of this year, while the
unemployment rate dipped to 6.6% (the lowest in 3 decades).

With the hourly wages of employees increasing by 3.9% over the past
year, Canada's boom time is approaching.

The most growth in October 2005 happened among the private sector
employee rate (+59,000), hitting a whopping 97,000 since the start of
the year.

But even more intriguing, the same 10 month period has seen
self-employment grow by 87,000 (+3.5%).

With lower overall business costs, Canada's labor costs range from about
20-24% lower than that of the US.

And that's not all-Canada's construction and electricity costs are
anywhere from 8-22% cheaper than the US.

With a world class infrastructure, the lowest wireless communication
costs, a positive (and ethical) business climate, a lower cost of
living, untouched landscapes, friendly and honest people, extremely low
crime rate, no estate or death tax-Canada's looking mighty attractive.

"For the Past 15 Years, this Company has Destroyed the Averages of the
Dow, S&P, Nasdaq & Russel 2000"

* Yet this industry is so small that it accounts for only 23/1000th
of one percent of the entire market!
* Google's market cap alone is 34 times bigger than this entire
industry of 21 companies.
* The industry is up 49.6% this year.
* But not one in 1000 investors will ever even think to own a stock
in this industry.

Click Here for YOUR FREE Report:
[# 1 Water Stock of the 21st Century]

Why Nova Scotia?

This province, nestled between the mainland (New Brunswick) and the
North Atlantic Ocean, is an undiscovered northern paradise infused with
Irish, English and Scottish history, not to forget Native Indian and
French Creole cultural remnants.

In fact, the well-known Creole cuisine (that Louisiana is so famous for)
has its true roots in Nova Scotia.

It was later when the English came to dominate the territory that the
French culture and its people were forced to emigrate elsewhere-and
ended up establishing themselves in Louisiana and throughout the Caribbean.

Nova Scotia was the home of both the French Acadians and the Mi'kmag
Native Indian tribe. And if you listen closely enough, you'll hear the
unmistakable sound of a Scottish bagpiper or maybe even catch a glimpse
of the unifying dances of the Mi'kmaq sweet grass rituals, an inspiring
custom of this province's oldest inhabitants.

The dynamic interplay between all of these astonishing multi-culture
elements now graces Nova Scotia with a delightful blend of histories and
traditions.

The sea-coast traditions from so many old world cultures add spice and
character to this hidden paradise; legends of pirates and other mystical
entities are just some of the threads that create the patchwork of this
enchanting culture.

Nova Scotia has so much to offer: low cost of living, inexpensive real
estate, unspoiled land, generous (and honest) people, lifestyles to suit
every liking and famous residents including Paul Simon, Demi Moore and
Jack Nicholson, just to name a few..

"From Back Country to Cash Cow, this $4.50 Oil Sands Stock is
Being Called, the Next Oil Sands GIANT"

* The Chinese and Americans have entered into a bidding war
* Sitting on 2.4 billion barrels of oil, this company is on the
auction block.
* You will make at least 322% as this stock shoots to +$19
* The company recently finalized a billion dollar deal with
Canada's largest oil company and the property will produce 190,000
barrels of oil every single day for 40-years straight!

To scoop up your shares now...

Click here for FREE REPORT:
[PE... My New Oil Sands GIANT]

The Discovery

What I began to notice as I traveled north towards Cape Breton, was that
Nova Scotia was experiencing, at this very moment, the Bust side of the
economic cycle. This bust cycle is ready to boom.

And every savvy investor waits for that bust time so that they can reap
the benefits of the Boom.

A recent report was released by Nova Scotia Department of Tourism,
Culture and Heritage forecasting Nova Scotia's tourism industry.

After assessing the decline in tourism since 2003, they went on to say
"a report released in late 2004 entitled Long-Term Trends and Cycles in
Canadian Tourism suggests that tourism activity follows a ten-year
cycle, with peaks and troughs that mirror and exaggerate the Canadian
business cycle..If the cycle persists, we should be at the start of a
broad-based recovery that will see record growth over the next decade."

In March of 2005, RBC Financial Group released a provincial economic
forecast indicating that "healthy job numbers and strong fiscal
performance will boost Nova Scotia's economic growth to 2.4% in 2005 and
2.8% in 2006."

The report goes on to assert that "'Nova Scotia's economic outlook
continues to build on the momentum generated in the second half of
2004,' said Craig Wright, vice-president and chief economists, RBC."

Interestingly enough however, the housing market in Nova Scotia appears
"to have reached a plateau."

So, the Canadian economy (and tourist industry), employment, and wages
are all beginning their rise, all while the housing industry stays at a
steady pace.

All I can hear from the voice in the back of my head is.BUY, BUY, BUY.

How Does a Non-Resident Buy Property in Canada?

Again, buying real estate in Canada is simpler than it may seem.

There are so many ways in which you can go about buying property in
Canada, so many different status categories you can apply for, and
different tax stipulations (and more importantly, tax loopholes).

Due to an overwhelming response of Wealth Daily readers inquiring to
know more about Canadian land, real estate companies and investment
opportunities, I will be releasing a Full Report Canadian Confidential:
The Maritimes Project within the next 2 weeks here on Wealth Daily.

This report will offer a serious overall scope on the Atlantic
Provinces, why they seem so alluring, how to buy property in Canada
without losing American citizenship, how to invest and protect your
dollars in Canada, how to immigrate to Canada, and how Canada is the
most unheard of Tax Haven, not to forget my personal recommendations for
real estate companies in Canada that are selling land for pennies on the
dollar.

Until the Next,

Brooke Hall

i Statistics Canada, ii Statistics Canada, iii Statistics Canada, iv
Nova Scotia Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, v RBC Financial
Group, vi RBC Financial Group, vii RBC Financial Group
To remove yourself from the Wealth Daily Profit letter, visit: Remove.
www.wealthdaily.net Wealth Daily Profit Letter, Copyright (C) 2005,
Angel Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved. No statement or expression
of opinion, or any other matter herein, directly or indirectly, is an
offer or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell securities mentioned.
While we believe the sources of information to be reliable, we in no way
represent or guarantee the accuracy nor the statements made herein.
Neither the publisher nor the Editor are registered investments
advisors. Subscribers should not view this publication as offering
personalized legal or investment advice. Unauthorized reproduction of
this newsletter, or its contents, by Xerography, facsimile, or any other
means is illegal and punishable by law. Please note: It's not our
intention to send email to anyone who doesn't want it. If you would like
to remove yourself from this mailing list, please see the instructions
at the bottom of this message. NOTE TO OUR READERS: Angel Publishing,
LLC and Wealth Daily Profit Letter do not act as an investment advisor
or advocate the purchase or sale of any security or investment.
Investments recommended in this publication should be made only after
consulting with your investment advisor and only after reviewing the
prospectus or financial statements of the company in question.
WebColin

Thanks!

- Colin

"Harlan Lachman" wrote in message
In article Lxoef.1540$Rb.663@trndny01,
"WebColin" wrote:

Sorry, sent from my wife's account earlier. Colin here.

I do love Burlington. It's been one of my top choices all along. However,
like to be thorough.

In article VPlef.238$Sb.141@trndny03,
"Aimee Shimlis" wrote:

[...]

port?

Thanks so much,
Colin

Aimee, from Burlington VT, the easiest way is down the Canals (free),
down the Hudson, and out into the Ocean. I have not gone up North yet
but a few have.

However, (either way) sailboats are required to drop their masts (most
pick Westport NY and raise them in Kingston NY). I have not done it on
my sailboats but my son and I went down by powerboat. Abusing ourselves
(leaving my home in Malletts Bay at 7:30 AM to reach the canals at 10
AM
and getting yelled at by the lock meisters who figure out your speed by
your passage times, it takes a minimum of two very hard days to reach
the ocean. On a sailboat, figure three - four. Most sailors motor from
Whitehall NY (or even before) to NYC because the Hudson (and the
entrance to Whitehall) is not the widest of rivers and some places are
dwarfed by mountains (e.g., Bear Mountain area)

Unlike the other towns you mention, although our sailing (and boating
season is short (Late May - October) I would assert we have one of the
most beautiful boating regions in the country (nestled between two
mountain ranges), fresh water (better for swimming and boat
maintenance), great cruising, and no fog.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

Pop me a note if you manage to get up here. I'll buy you one of the
decent local brews (the wines are just eh).

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

Alan Frame

rhys wrote:

By contrast, consider the Amazon. I believe sailboats can go over
1,000 miles up it from the Atlantic delta without trouble and with
adequate draft (if you can figure out its ever-changing meanders and
avoid snagging on trees on its banks, I suppose).

Err,
The late Sir Peter Blake might disagree with the use of the words
'without trouble'... :-(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Blake_(yachtsman)

rgds, Alan
--
99 Ducati 748BP, 95 Ducati 600SS, 81 Guzzi Monza, 74 MV Agusta 350
"Ride to Work, Work to Ride" SI# 7.067 DoD#1930 PGP Key 0xBDED56C5