Default Mast Repair

I've taken pics of the damage, which I suspect is minor(?). However I
don't know how to publish the pics so I'm going to need help on this
one too!

Len

Hm, a bit of a brain fart here... You'll have to invite people to look
at yr albums. Sorry, it is a bit more complicated... but it may
still work if you know the email-address's of the persons who are
willing to help you by looking at the photo ....
Len.
Len

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:27:59 -0500, Maynard G. Krebbs
wrote:

We've been using the newsgroup
alt.binaries.pictures.sports.ocean
If you get that group you could post your pictures there and let us
know about it.
Mark E. Williams

Mark,
Which newsserver do yo use to reach that group?
Mine doesn't give access to the alt.binaries-groups and nor does
google-groups.
Thanks, Len.
Scotty

What size rivets? Are the holes too messed up to drill out the
rivets and redrill to a larger size, either larger rivets or
bolts?

SBV

wrote in message
oups.com...
While recently lowering my mast it fell forwards partially

pulling the
rivets out where the mast joins the bottom bracket. I think

that I have
two options to repair this. One is to drilll out the rivets cut

off the
botton 1cm ,or so, of the mast to a point just above the old

rivets &
redrill & rivet. This will mean putting a block under the

tabernackle
so that the stay/shrouds can remain the same length.
Option two is to get the bottom of the mast ally welded to

repair the
damage & also attatch the bottom of the mast to the ally

bracket.
Does anyone have views on the suitability of both repairs? The

second
is the easier option as it will be done proffesionally.

I've managed to load two pics of the damaged area at

http://groups.msn.com/LysanderSailer...msnw?Page=Last

Graeme

Scotty

All I got was this;

Hmmm, We Can't Find that Page...

The page you're looking for might have been moved or deleted. Or,
perhaps the Web address is misspelled?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've managed to load two pics of the damaged area at

http://groups.msn.com/LysanderSailer...msnw?Page=Last

Graeme

Len

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:16:01 GMT, "Scotty"
wrote:

All I got was this;

Hmmm, We Can't Find that Page...

The page you're looking for might have been moved or deleted. Or,
perhaps the Web address is misspelled?

It worked fine for me...
The pictures were a bit blurred but it seems the part that is
connected (mastfoot?) could be drilled loose and you could a) use
slightly bigger (thicker) rivets on the old places and b) drill a new
hole next to the one ripped open.

In the yahoo group I mentioned earlier there is a discussion going on
about modern powerful adhesives. Maybe you can overcome the "fear for
the unknown" that I feel too to use this product on a critical spot.
I copied the last message.

Luck,
Len
S/v Present

Hello John,
I sell Body Shop Supplies, and I know of a Very Good Adhesive you can
use to bond ANY thing together with. The part number is 08115 Panel
Bonding Adhesive it's about $32.00 , you have to have the gun to use
this product. Many different makers of this gun are out there.The
cheepest gun I know of is about $40.00 made by Shopware
www.shopwareinc.net . 08115 is a two part adhhesive that is mixed by
placing in the gun, kinda like a caulking gun. 3M also makes some
other great adhesives in this same line "Automix". 08115 has a work
time of 90 minutes, Handling time of 4 hours, and cure time of 24
hours. All times can be accelerrated with heat. We use this product in
place of welding now days. Scary to think your car is glued
together........ Most new cars have plastic or aluminum or very thin
sheet metal for fenders and doors skins.
I glued a cow skill to the side of the barn 5 years ago and you can
hang off of it if you wanted to.
Hope this helps.
Tod