otnmbrd

Default ocean crusing & anti collision tactics....

"Gary" wrote in message
I have a small Furuno on my boat and it picks up everything. On a calm day
I track seagulls and logs. Its only when the sea surface is really
disturbed (25+knots and lots of fetch that the radar starts missing small
boats.

Having driven large ships, I would say that if they are watching their
radar, they will see you even in a small fiberglass boat unless the sea
state or weather is such that clutter is a problem

I'm guessing you're X-Navy (not that it really matters).
Picking up a "small fiberglass" boat on radar in open sea conditions depends
a good deal on luck, the operator, and the radar set,
in question.
I've totally missed large ships, small boats, land masses, weather fronts,
etc., on radar.......
I've picked up seagulls, small boats in 30k wind conditions, land masses
(low lying) at maximum ranges, etc.......
A good deal depends on the particular radar, the particular operator, and
the particular conditions ......
Radar is not a "cure-all"..... for those of you who have installed it and
think you are an expert at using it, as soon as you turn it on or after a
"season" using it ....... forget it ..... you're a trainee.
One in a thousand of you might become good .....some of you will become
passable "mechanics"........ the majority of you will be divided into two
groups:
1. Those with enough common sense to realize they need to be and are aware
of their limited abilities and experience with radar.
2. Those with ego's bigger than their brains.

EG

otn

Gary

~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
Gary...does your Furuno unit have alarms
or notifications of "bogies"... ?

It probably does but I have never used them. It is a baby ARPA system.

Gary
Gary

otnmbrd wrote:
"Gary" wrote in message

[...]

Not X-Navy, still in and Captain of a ship. You are right with you two
categories of people.

I think the original question had to do with radar returns and radar
reflectors. The best way to find out is call another ship or Vessel
Traffic and ask them if the can see you on their radar.

Easy!
Larry

Gary wrote in news:b_Waf.407318$1i.381368@pd7tw2no:

Not X-Navy, still in and Captain of a ship. You are right with you two
categories of people.

I think the original question had to do with radar returns and radar
reflectors. The best way to find out is call another ship or Vessel
Traffic and ask them if the can see you on their radar.

Easy!

Captain, is the Canadian Navy installing AIS transponders aboard their
vessels?

--
Larry
(Just an old Electronic Technician keeping the radar running.)
Gary

Larry wrote:
Gary wrote in news:b_Waf.407318$1i.381368@pd7tw2no:

Not X-Navy, still in and Captain of a ship. You are right with you two
categories of people.

I think the original question had to do with radar returns and radar
reflectors. The best way to find out is call another ship or Vessel
Traffic and ask them if the can see you on their radar.

Easy!

Captain, is the Canadian Navy installing AIS transponders aboard their
vessels?

Not that I am aware of. It would be counterproductive. The AIS is a
system used to track large vessel contunuously when in waters that are
controlled by Vessel Traffic Management organizations. The Navy doesn't
really want to be tracked. We have our own Link system that lets us
know where each other are.

The AIS adds to the picture that the Navy maintains called the RMP or
Recocognized Maritime Picture where they track all vessels all the time
so they can do counter drug ops and counter illegal immigrant ops etc.
Evrything is being watched and tracked all the time as it approaches the
coast of North America (or anywhere else we are interested in).

Gary

otnmbrd

"Larry" wrote in message

Captain, is the Canadian Navy installing AIS transponders aboard their
vessels?

The USN is.
Having said that, I believe they have the ability to use the system in the
"receive only" mode, for obvious reasons.