Jonathan Ganz

Default ocean crusing & anti collision tactics....

In article .com,
~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
What are some opinions and methods sailors are
utilizing these days, in open ocean/offshore
anti collision measures? Are folks/sailors using
good radar systems with alarms (if so what brands)
or just post and conduct regular watches, utilize
radar reflectors, etc? ... Ween i say "open ocean/off
shore" i mean crossing oceans, 20-30 days of straight
sailing, etc...

Well, not exactly crossing an ocean, but 10 days out of sight of land
(100-200 miles off) seems to be offshore enough for my taste. For that
we used a combo of radar (at night and only if we weren't sure about
something) and regular watches, with two people on deck at all times
(day or night). We only had one encounter with a tanker, and she
changed course to avoid us. Yes, we had a radar reflector. Don't know
if it was that or she saw us with a visual scan. It was during the
day.

We did encounter another sailboat who clearing had some sort of radar
alarm, but it only alerted him when he was about 3-500 yards
off. Plenty of time for both of us, but....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com