Mark

Default Leaking drain plug flange

The flange for the drain plug at the bottom of the transom in my boat has
been leaking (not the plug itself) and has been a difficult leak to find.
But after some searching and using mirriors to find it, the next task is to
fix it.

Now that the boat is out of the water (for the winter), I removed the flange
being held on with 2 self tapping screws and a long bolt. I was surpised
not to be able to see any sort of sealant around the flange where it mounts
onto the fiberglass, so I am quite confident this is where the leak was.

Beyond using the typical RTV sealant, does anyone have an alternate or
possibly better recommendation? FYI, it is a 1986 Dearay Sundacer.

Mark (the rail & canopy hook guy)
www.ripnet.com/vtf/prod03.htm

Jere Lull

In article ups.com,
"Mark" wrote:

The flange for the drain plug at the bottom of the transom in my boat
has been leaking (not the plug itself) and has been a difficult leak
to find. But after some searching and using mirriors to find it, the
next task is to fix it.

Now that the boat is out of the water (for the winter), I removed the
flange being held on with 2 self tapping screws and a long bolt. I
was surpised not to be able to see any sort of sealant around the
flange where it mounts onto the fiberglass, so I am quite confident
this is where the leak was.

Beyond using the typical RTV sealant, does anyone have an alternate
or possibly better recommendation? FYI, it is a 1986 Dearay
Sundacer.

Mark (the rail & canopy hook guy)
www.ripnet.com/vtf/prod03.htm

I'd use something rated for underwater fittings, on the order of 3M's
4200, but not 5200. LifeCaulk is another good one. Never use silicone
under the water. In fact, I have exactly one use for silicone: I bed the
portlights with clear LifeSeal.

--
Jere Lull
Don White

Jere Lull wrote:
In article ups.com,
"Mark" wrote:

[...]

I used the 3m 4200 to bed the thru-hulls I replaced this summer.

Leaking drain plug flange Mark General 2 October 18th 05 04:09 AM
Drain Plug at Intake Mainfold on 2005 Volvo Penta 4.3? Scott_SS General 1 October 11th 05 03:36 AM