johnhh

Default Stowing Dinghy on Pacific Seacraft 34

Thanks Larry, I was curious since sometimes the different length models
don't stack up quite as well. I too have a Seacraft 34 and am always
looking for the perfect solutions. I currently have a 10' inflatable that I
tow behind when in the placid waters of Puget Sound. Next summer I am
planning a trip to Alaska and I'm not thrilled with the thought of towing it
all the way; deflating and inflating on deck is not fun either. Right now
an 8 or 10 foot porta-boat is looking like a good alternative. I have a
little 3.3 Merc that should push it nicely.

John

"Larry" wrote in message
"johnhh" wrote in
:

How do the 8 and 10 foot models rate? 12' would be a little large for
me.

Oh, they're all the same. I think you'll get one less seat, no big deal.
There's LOTS more room in an 8' Portabote than an 8', or even 10'
inflatable because the floor goes all the way across, not between tubes.

I forgot to mention it's also unsinkable. The seats are hollow plastic
and
will float it with a full load and full of water. It's quite safe.

It DOES, however, not unlike the inflatable, take a little getting used to
the FLOOR UNDER YOU BENDING as you walk around. I don't think you're ever
going to put your foot through it, but it's a bit unnerving that it flexes
underfoot so much. It actually bulges up INTO the boat by the water
pressure on the hull, not the other way around, giving it that tri-hull
shape. This bottom is actually what folds up, so it doesn't hurt it.

I saw one 20 years old, I'd guess, and it looked just like the one in the
picture..... The 8' or 10' should be just fine. They only take up less
LENGTH along the handrail than the 12'....They're still 4" thick folded
up.
I suppose the 12' will plane easier as the shorter ones are the same
width.

--
Larry

Larry

"johnhh" wrote in news:fYWdnWzIuqUIn9HeRVn-
:

I have a
little 3.3 Merc that should push it nicely.

Don't forget the marina is a NO WAKE ZONE!....(c;

--
Larry
Jere Lull

In article ,
"johnhh" wrote:

How do the 8 and 10 foot models rate? 12' would be a little large for me.

About the only difference between the various Portaboats is weight and
carrying capability. Folded, they all are the same dimensions, except
that the 12 is two or 4 feet longer, which makes no difference to us.

Our 12 tends to become the raft-up taxi since 5 real adults can be
comfortable in it. I also believe the 12 may plane a little earlier and
have a higher top-end. BTW, they DO have a maximum speed: If the sides
start flapping, slow down. That's at somewhat over 15 knots, which
should be fast enough for most.

Most of the Portabotes on the Bay seem to be rowed about. For the short
distances within anchorages, it's faster to row than put the motor on.
They DO row easily.

--
Jere Lull
Larry