Jim

Default Carver 32'

I have to add that this is a reasonably priced boat that might fit your
needs well. It could be the best choice for you.

I would be concerned about:
20 gallon holding tank isn't a lot with more than 2 people
188 gallons of gas won't get you very far

And the whole issue of the price of the fuel in the future.

Jim wrote:
Here's what I based my numbers on:
I had a 28 footer (6,000 pound) with a single Chevy 350. It used
roughly 1 gallon per mile. 12 knots was 12 gph. The boat would do 30,
but it was using 30 gph. Roughly. One engine. Two engines is twice
everything. Almost.

Of course twins are more efficient, which is a relative term when
talking about a very inefficient thing, a gasoline driven boat.

I have a neighbor who has a 42 footer, twin gas. His fuel usage is
roughly in line with what I told you in my earlier post. But this is a
big, heavy boat and he pushes it.

Your mileage may vary. . .

I presently have a diesel, displacement boat, uses 2 gph at 8 knots.
That is 2 x $3.50 = $7 per hour. I do all the mechanical work myself.
But the actual cost is much more than 7 dollars.

The Carver 32 is a nice boat, but I would be at least thinking about
diesel power.

Dene wrote:

"WaIIy" wrote in message

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 21:45:27 -0700, "Dene" dene@(nospam) ipns.com
wrote:

18 mph cruising.....gallon a mile. 20 gallons x $3/gallon equals
$60/hr.

Right?

The weight on the boat looks a bit high, but assuming (from memory of
the ad), that it's 14,000 lbs dry and 32ft loa more or less,
I'd say you were about right.

My boat is 32ft loa, twin 5.7 inboards, 11 1/2ft beam and 11,000lbs dry.

I burn about 23 gph at 20 mph cruise.

The Carver Voyager has a great layout. They couldn't have done much
better.

I like your figures better than Jim's. Displacement is 15,200.
Engines are
350 MPI. Cruising speed is 18 mph.

So perhaps my figures should be 25 gph? Curious what kind of 32
footer your
boat is?

-Greg

Twin 5.7s will burn 20 to 26 gph depending on how fast you run them.
Figure an average of $1k per year per engine for maintenance, some
years more, some less.