Dene

Default Carver 32'

http://tinyurl.com/8kl94

A golf-pal owns Oregon Yacht Sales. The owner of this boat is a
widow....husband recently died of a heart attack. He thinks she would take
65k, the predicted it would take another 5k to accessorize it properly.
Fresh water covered moorage is $200/mo. We would declare it as a 2nd home
and deduct as much as possible.

In terms of size, it seems ideal for us. We would use it on the Columbia
River and ship it to Puget Sound for the summer. Our eventual goal is to
buy a bigger one and live in it, when the kids are gone.

Curious what you folks think?

-Greg

Jeff

Dene wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/8kl94

A golf-pal owns Oregon Yacht Sales. The owner of this boat is a
widow....husband recently died of a heart attack. He thinks she would take
65k, ...

Curious what you folks think?

Isn't he supposed to be representing the widow's interest here?
Remember this when he recommends a surveyor.

Jim Carter

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
Isn't he supposed to be representing the widow's interest here?
Remember this when he recommends a surveyor.

Find your own surveyor and if it passes OK, buy it. $65,000. is not to bad
of a price for that boat.

Jim

Dene

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
Dene wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/8kl94

A golf-pal owns Oregon Yacht Sales. The owner of this boat is a
widow....husband recently died of a heart attack. He thinks she would

take
65k, ...

Curious what you folks think?

Isn't he supposed to be representing the widow's interest here?
Remember this when he recommends a surveyor.

Yes....and the widow wants out....quick. He surveyed it himself....told me
the flaws. He's a friend.

-Greg

Jim

20 to 25 gallons per hour for a V8 turning props on a planing hull. $5
a gallon at the fuel dock. Minimum numbers.

20 x 2 = 40 x 5 = 200

Ok, 400 was high, but I always like to figure expenses high. Lets figure
out the highest possible numbers:

30 gallons an hour per engine, which is possible.
$7 which we WILL see at the fuel dock.

30 x 2 = 60, x 7 = $420

How about $8 a gallon? 30 x 2 = 60 x 8 = $480

You haven't spent any money on risers, mechanics, and everything else
that should be figured in to the hourly rate to run the boat.

WaIIy wrote:

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 03:16:26 GMT, Jim wrote:

Twin gas. . .

You will spend $400+ an hour to run it.

Baloney

Larry

Jim wrote in
k.net:

$480

All the sailors reading this are having problems breathing, what with all
the adrenaline and increased blood pressure.....(c;

Suddenly, the price of that Harken block looks less imposing....

Wonder where we can put oar holes along the hull above the waterline??
Will the guests help oar her away from the marina???

--
Larry
Dene

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 21:45:27 -0700, "Dene" dene@(nospam) ipns.com
wrote:

18 mph cruising.....gallon a mile. 20 gallons x $3/gallon equals $60/hr.

Right?

The weight on the boat looks a bit high, but assuming (from memory of
the ad), that it's 14,000 lbs dry and 32ft loa more or less,
I'd say you were about right.

My boat is 32ft loa, twin 5.7 inboards, 11 1/2ft beam and 11,000lbs dry.

I burn about 23 gph at 20 mph cruise.

The Carver Voyager has a great layout. They couldn't have done much
better.

I like your figures better than Jim's. Displacement is 15,200. Engines are
350 MPI. Cruising speed is 18 mph.

So perhaps my figures should be 25 gph? Curious what kind of 32 footer your
boat is?

-Greg

Jim

Here's what I based my numbers on:
I had a 28 footer (6,000 pound) with a single Chevy 350. It used
roughly 1 gallon per mile. 12 knots was 12 gph. The boat would do 30,
but it was using 30 gph. Roughly. One engine. Two engines is twice
everything. Almost.

Of course twins are more efficient, which is a relative term when
talking about a very inefficient thing, a gasoline driven boat.

I have a neighbor who has a 42 footer, twin gas. His fuel usage is
roughly in line with what I told you in my earlier post. But this is a
big, heavy boat and he pushes it.

Your mileage may vary. . .

I presently have a diesel, displacement boat, uses 2 gph at 8 knots.
That is 2 x $3.50 = $7 per hour. I do all the mechanical work myself.
But the actual cost is much more than 7 dollars.

The Carver 32 is a nice boat, but I would be at least thinking about
diesel power.