Default Down Mexico way

We always hear of people going west to east on the Gulf of mexico down
west Fl and then over to teh bahamas. Why not go the other way, toward
TX and then down to Mexico. Does naybody have any experience with that
part of the Gulf Coast (northern Mexico that is)?

For one, it's the long way around by at least 1,000 miles or so. It is
also my impression, perhaps wrong, that there's not much "there" there,
at least not until you get to the Yucatan/Cancun/Cozumel area.

We always hear of people going west to east on the Gulf of mexico down
west Fl and then over to teh bahamas. Why not go the other way, toward
TX and then down to Mexico. Does naybody have any experience with that
part of the Gulf Coast (northern Mexico that is)?

Several years ago I researched such a cruise and found it daunting --
nothing south of Brownsville TX until Tampico and then, much further
south, Veracruz, a manufacturing center and major oil depot, and then,
around the corner, Cancun. Between are only small fishing villages with
ragged fuel docks and empty or virtually empty (small villages), small
mouth bays for anchoring. Charted depths are unreliable, at best.
Sport fishing boats from TX carry extra fuel to make Cancun in long,
uninterrupted runs across Gulf. Mexican Customs is also uncertain --
full fees may be charged at each port -- (graft warnings from two other
cruisers.) After months of reviewing charts, communicating with Mexican
officials , a Mexican immigration law firm, and a few locals, I decided
not to do that cruise.

Da Kine

I've been up and down both coasts of Mexico a few times. When I was
on the pacific side, (1994-7) you'd pay little fee at each port, in
the amount of about $3 US or so. I delivered a boat a few years back to
Cancun and was charged $400 and change. - Just a side thought-

As for sailing the long way, there are a lot of considerations to take.
I too thought about that route a few times and decided against it
because of the remoteness. On the other hand, if you wanted to be that
alone you might find it to be the way to go.

Your final destination considered, if you leave key West and head
toward Havana and then toward the Yucatan, you get a back current near
Cuba that is counter to the gulf stream. The US imposed some extra
restrictions against getting that close to Cuba around about January of
2003, so if those are still being enforced, that is no option. Going
through the Bahamas gives you lots of protection from weather that may
come up plus as previously stated, there are fuel stops and a few
stores not to mention boat yards for the occasional mechanical mishap.

Back to the Mexico routes, if you do make it to Cancun area, from there
you will find a current in your southerly favor so long as you stay
fairly close to land. The Yucatan channel has had incredibly fast
currents from time to time and I have never seen the pinch less then
about 4 knots. Another thing to consider is that cutting across the
Caribbean from the Bahamas to the canal (if you should want to) you may
encounter a very nasty sea. I've cross several times and my luck has
never seen less then 15 foot and once I was caught in storm where at
one point I saw 35 foot seas (and believe me, I had every intention of
selling the boat and moving to Montana!). I have known people that
loved the sail through 4 foot seas but that was not my luck.

Meye5

"Between are only small fishing villages with
ragged fuel docks and empty or virtually empty (small villages), small
mouth bays for anchoring. Charted depths are unreliable, at best."

this is the type of cruising destinations people used to seek ,the way
the bahamas used to be, and most of the caribbean, now if there is no
Mcdonalds and a jacuzzi in the marina people bitch.

Da Kine

Cruisers have changed. The reasons many cruise is for comfort
vacations. Me personally, I like the boonies most of the time but as I
get older I am finding the need for a little comfort myself.

Meye5

yes cruisers have changed, thats why mooring and anchoring is banned
almost everywhere now. its why the legends like Tristan Jones and other
well known sailors of the past would be shunned as gypsy sea trash if
they were around today. today if your boat doesnt have a fresh coat of
shiny awlgrip your looked upon with suspicion. What do you do if your
boat is damaged in a Hurricane, A scratch?!?! Will you be shunned by
your boat slip neighbor? oh my gawd!! You ever hear of the "stroller
wars?" Its a big thing in the midwest, mothers with the "wrong" baby
carriages are looked upon as trashy or not good enuff. Wrong side of
the tracks?? Apparently there are only one or two eletist brands of
carriages, Thrown glances of disapproval by other new mothers. I found
out about this when i visited my niece and her new born. Who knew? How
pathetic and sad. I had to laugh. The mountain climbers of MT Everest
are all now wealthy yuppies paying 10's of thousands for a thrill. Its
all about image.

Meye5

OH here is a funny one. In a marina I was visiting recently I was
saundering down the dock and I heard this woman in utter disqust
criticize a boats anchors as being ugly. Wwhy dont they buy some shiny
ones like ours? It's so trashy!" I had to laugh but contained myself
for fear of being arrested for offending the women. Have you heard of
the new monogrammed designer anchors? Heres the link:

Da Kine

upset 'eh?

Meye5

no i am not upset, disgusted maybe. and laughing at the stupidity but
not upset.