Mic

Default DIY - boat monitoring system

http://www.rogermisty.com/Roger's%20Programming/bms.htm
Boat Monitoring System Support Pages
This is a do it yourself project. You assemble the hardware from off
the shelf components. You can write your own software or use mine.

http://www.rogermisty.com/Roger's%20Programming/Boat%20Monitoring.htm
"Boat monitoring, and remote boat monitoring in particular, is an
evolving industry. Similar to a home alarm system the boat monitoring
system “watches” the boat and sends an alarm to alert the owner to a
negative event."
"Quick Overview
This project creates hardware and software that will transmit alert
and periodic email messages from your boat. It also provides the
ability to have one event trigger another, for example, if the bilge
pump has been running a long time to turn on a booster pump while
notifying you of the problem. The hardware uses off the shelf
components. "

Steve

Very interesting..

I'm especially interested in the Video capture and transmit over the
internet.

Maybe I shouldn't mention it here, but my boat is at a public dock and the
port authority doesn't seem to think it is necessary to have on site
security or video monitoring, even with a half dozen $100k boats there all
winter.

I have noticed some commercial systems in the Northern catalog. The best is
a computer and has a 120gig HD instead of a VCR and 4 cameras. Price is
$1500.

A good friend owns a summer house right next to this public dock and would
allow me to set the system up to monitor the dock and all I would have to do
is pay for the DSL or Cable monthly service.

I know this would be more 'novelty' than practical. But my boat insurance
has a $2000 deductible and besides, I worry even though I am insured. The
novelty is in being able to spy on my boat and those messing around on the
dock..

Just my thoughts.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Jim Richardson

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:06:01 -0700,
Steve wrote:
[...]

http://www.zoneminder.com/ has a linux based solution, using anything
from cheap webcams, to the expensive ethernet connectable video cameras
http://www.axis.com

It does things like motion detection, you can define an area of
interest, and be notified if something in that area changes. Check out
the features list for more info on this.

If you are thinking on setting up a PC to do this, look at zoneminder,
it's free (libre and gratis) and has a very active community. It offers
features that many commercial apps of this type can't match, and it runs
on Linux

I am a figment of my own imagination.

Insurance ScouseRanger Cruising 10 June 19th 05 09:58 AM
On topic about boats Capt. Neal® General 10 May 27th 05 06:25 PM
Boat with an interesting history Gould 0738 General 2 November 19th 04 05:28 AM
Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM