DSK

Red Cloud© wrote:
Leave the varnish, and paint over it with a UV resistant solid color
paint.

prodigal1 wrote:
NO NO NO NO NO!
ignore this philistine completely
he is an anencephalic who sadly will never have...a clue

Well, I agree, but I've got better things to do than varnish, myself.
That's why my wife does all our brightwork. One of these days, it's
going to get a coat of nice yacht-y looking buff paint. Sears
Weathrbeater is guaranteed for 15 years.

Teak is easily restored from its adulterated i.e., varnished state.
Varnish, and worse "paint" are cheap "solutions" ....
....Oil away when dry. Watch how thirsty the starved wood is and
replenish as necessary. Wipe excess with a clean rag.

Constantly applying oil is actually more time consuming than varnishing.
You'd be amazed at how often you have to oil the wood, and how awful it
will look anyway after a couple of years. So guess what, you're back to
sanding it & applying various "cleaners" etc etc.

And IMHO a pretty piece of wood, well varnished, is beautiful. An oiled
piece of wood (no matter how nice the grain) is far less of an aesthetic
pleasure. Varnish is a way of not only preserving the wood from rot
(which is all oil is good for) but also magnifying the beauty of the
grain. Of course, lots of wood used on boats isn't pretty enough to be
worth varnishing in the first place.

... There are no shortage of dry, high-wind days when
you can engage in the highly satisfying activity of maintaining the
bright work.

There is around here. We get probably 3 good varnishing days a year.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Rich Hampel

Maybe youve never seen a properly oiled piece of wood.
Oil finishes can be smoother, more lusterous, more glossy and just as
or more brilliant than any varnish.
Resinated (varnish added to) oil is an intermediate between both
coating systems.
An oiled finish thats periodically wiped with a UV inhibitor/retardant
such as the 'modern' 303 aerospace protectants .... will last quite
long. Ditto varnish. .

...... but then again you probably never saw a properly varnished piece
of work either .... flattened and then hand rubbed (with rottenstone,
etc.) to develop the extreme gloss thats possible with varnish and the
irridescent patina of the wood cells. Too bad the 'french polishing'
techniques with shellac cant be exposed to sunlight or water .... as
they are the MOST brilliant ... makes plate glass blush with envy.

Prep and Dipping a brush into a can or container is only part of the
process.. Cetol dribblers would never know this

prodigal1 wrote:
[...]

prodigal1

Rich Hampel wrote:
Cetol dribblers would never know this

DING! we have a winner folks!
everyone can go home now

FS: Teak Deck Panels in Florida, we ship in US J.T. Tuomela Marketplace 0 June 29th 04 11:50 PM
Looked today ( Boat Choices) Wendy Cruising 82 February 9th 04 02:57 PM
Teak Ruminations Wendy Cruising 0 February 4th 04 07:34 PM
Teak Surfing... doesn't anyone read the papers anymore??? Calif Bill General 0 July 22nd 03 06:53 AM
Teak Wood Varnish Rob General 4 June 30th 03 08:03 PM