Default LED Solar Anchor Lights

Check out these LED Solar Anchor Lights

http://www.premiermaterials.com/Prem...s/model501.htm

Unfortunately, the only one I really think would be adequate is the
largest and most expensive.

The English company that actually makes them has a less expensive
version than even the 501 but it has a max range of 1 km, not enough.
It might be good for long term mooring but not as an anchor light.

For now, I do not think the solar cells are efficient enough to really
power an anchor light. maybe in 5 years it will be practical.

Unfortunately, I do not have the link to the original british company
who does advertise an "anchor light" visible to 1 km (obviously not
good enough). The Anchor light hey have looks as if it is intended to
be mounted on the masthead or rail and you are correct, no way to turn
it off except by covering it. They do imply that it is for long term
anchoring so maybe they do not intend it to be used an a "real" anchor
light. Again, it seems that Premeir buys from this british company
that I found by googling "anchor lights"

Jan

wrote in message
oups.com...
Check out these LED Solar Anchor Lights

http://www.premiermaterials.com/Prem...s/model501.htm

Unfortunately, the only one I really think would be adequate is the
largest and most expensive.

The English company that actually makes them has a less expensive
version than even the 501 but it has a max range of 1 km, not enough.
It might be good for long term mooring but not as an anchor light.

For now, I do not think the solar cells are efficient enough to really
power an anchor light. maybe in 5 years it will be practical.

Try out these, I have bought one. Also keeps the birds away:
http://www.sealite.com.au/product_pa...rod_code=SL05#

Jan

Stephen Trapani

I bought 4 for $13 landscaping solar lights at K-Mart which run off
solar and are on at dusk off at dawn. I stuck two out in my front yard,
lashed one to the stern rail on my boat and have one on board in a
locker for when the one on the rail craps out.

Stephen

Dave

LED 3 mile lights turn off during the day and on at night. They take D-cell
batteries that last 1-1/2 months.

http://www.go2marine.com/g2m?action=GoBPage&id=100213F

Dave

Those lights from go2marine look interesting BUT, do flashing lights
meet the anchor light requirement?

krj

Dave wrote:
LED 3 mile lights turn off during the day and on at night. They take D-cell
batteries that last 1-1/2 months.

http://www.go2marine.com/g2m?action=GoBPage&id=100213F

Dave

This would look like a strobe light. Albeit not a high intensity strobe
light, but a strobe light. Strobe lights are illegal on boats.
krj
Doug Dotson

"krj" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
LED 3 mile lights turn off during the day and on at night. They take
D-cell batteries that last 1-1/2 months.

http://www.go2marine.com/g2m?action=GoBPage&id=100213F

Dave

This would look like a strobe light. Albeit not a high intensity strobe
light, but a strobe light. Strobe lights are illegal on boats.
krj

We have a strobe on our boat and they are not illegal, but can only be used
in
an emergency. It is part of a standard masthead light that has running
lights
(red,green,white), and anchor light, and a strobe. A blinking white light
(non-strobe) is usually used to mark stationary hazards like rocks. We have
one one some rocks at the entrance to the creek we live on. Also used on
things like fish traps. Definitely not suitable for an anchor light.

Doug

Dave

"krj" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
LED 3 mile lights turn off during the day and on at night. They take
D-cell batteries that last 1-1/2 months.

http://www.go2marine.com/g2m?action=GoBPage&id=100213F

Dave

This would look like a strobe light. Albeit not a high intensity strobe
light, but a strobe light. Strobe lights are illegal on boats.
krj

Not at all, they are available as a steady burning light. This is my new
anchor light for a boat that spends most of it's time on the hook. I have
not yet tested it's purported 3 mile range but it is much, much brighter
than any other LED light I have used or seen in use. Up close it is as
bright as any 12v navigation light to be found on a small boat. It turns on
by itself at dusk and turns itself off at sunrise. So far I have gotten a
full month out of one set of batteries and it is still going strong. They
come in red and green too. With a 90deg. shield these could be turned into
excellent battery powered running lights.

Dave