Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
RM

Default Drive on one engine cutting out

I have a 1985 32' Chris craft stinger with twin 454's. The starboard engine
has been acting up lately. If I give it throttle it starts to go then the
right engine will rev higher, the prop sounds like its cavitating, the
engine sync gauge swings way over to the right and the boat starts veering
to the right. Basically I am losing propulsion from that side and the engine
is unloaded. When I back the throttle down it "catches" and starts moving
straight, sync needle swings back over, etc. If it was a car I would say the
clutch is slipping but I am not sure if there are clutch packs in a boat
tranny, never worked on one. If I speed up real slow with the port engine
taking most of the load I can eventually get up to speed, but it still will
cut out for a second or two randomly. We ran over a crab trap a couple
months back but I dont know if that messed it up or not. It was on the
starboard prop and I had to cut it away to get it off, it was wrapped up
pretty good. If more details are needed please let me know. i could get
video of the gauges and sounds if that will help.

Drive on one engine cutting out RM General 11 September 16th 05 11:48 PM
Engine coupler Proxy General 14 July 17th 05 06:13 AM
The Diesel Engine winder General 3 January 23rd 05 02:59 PM
Fuel transfer/polishing pump Doug Dotson Cruising 408 February 2nd 04 11:58 PM
Usage of motoroil Steven Shelikoff General 153 September 17th 03 12:55 PM