palmtreedreamer

Default Cruising Bahamas w/ Kids?

HI

I don't stop by much because I don't have internet much but I am here
with a quest today.

I am heading out on my annual migration south in a little less then 2
months and I am looking for others headed to the Bahamas and points
south that might have young ones aboard. I have a boy that is almost 5
and a 2.5 girl and I am heading out of indiantown FL in mid Oct. for
Miami to await the "window" . If you have kids or just want to know who
your friends are as you cruise, let me know who you are.

The email here is a spam blocker. Use danny(at)taddei(dot)org to get in
touch with me or just post here. I am watching for another month or so.

Thanks
May your anchor be tight, your corks be loose, your rum be spiced and
your compass be true.
--
Captain Danny Taddei

hmmm, I planned to leave a little later but Late October might be OK.
I might have my 15 yr old son or my 10 yr old daughter and maybe my 18
yr old daughter part of the time. We will be on a 28' S2. We have
spent most of our sailing careers with small kids. I am generally
planning on the Bahamas but my schedule is very flexible.

David OHara

palmtreedreamer

Hi david,

Planned cruising never works. Generally speaking, that's our plan. We
may end up in the keys for a month or more.

We're on a Cal 3-30 with a deep keel and tall rig. We tend to wait for
fair sailing these days with the kids too. Keep in touch - do you know
the area well?

Danny

I once spent a week on a charter in the Keys but have otherwise been to
the Keys on land several times. I am familiar with Western FL but not
the Bahamas or East Florida. My boat draws just under 4'. It would
take me a few days to get to the Keys from NW FL but I really do want
to get to Dry Tortugas this time. After that, it will be back up the
Keys to Miami and then across to Bimini. My schedule is very flexible.
I do intend to cruise for two weeks at a time and then go back to work
for two weeks to get my fix of work while leaving the boat in place.

David OHara

palmtreedreamer

I hope you can find the windows to get places. You'll have to be
careful not to get stuck places with no access. It's not uncommon to
catch a month or so of gales without a break. In Nassau 2 winters ago I
spent 3 or so weeks getting to know the place while it blew from 25 to
35 knots every day. I finally just left and made my way down to Staniel
Cay when it dropped a little but then it came up again for a month
(remember that 25-35 is quite a bit of wind when the water is at best,
15 feet deep). By then I was trying to make my way back to Miami so I
left on a day when it was only blowing about 20 and the seas were down
to about 7-9 feet. I made my way back to Chub and the next day started
really calm so I started toward Gun Cay. Half way across we got slammed
with 35 knots only I was in about 10-12 feet of water and the swells
were so big our keel hit bottom often.

The point being, schedules and sailing don't mix well and you might
want to stay in the states if you need to be back at work at any given
time. You can catch flights out of S. Bimini, Freeport, Nassau, Staniel
and a few other places but you need to actually be able to get there.
In the keys, life is simple because you can go inside just about
everywhere if you need to, especially with a 4 foot draft. Not only
that, it is still a really nice place to go and stay for long periods
of time. The loser-cruiser isn't welcomed much but a normal, nice
looking boat with someone that can afford to do laundry won't get a
second look.

If you are in NW FL, you'll probably cut across on a passage to Ft
myers or something. You can anchor there still but you need to make
your way all the way back behind the mooring balls (its about 7 miles
back). The local police take pride in breaking federal laws there so
keep it in mind when you're there.

From the keys to Miami life is easy to live/cruise aboard. If you plan

on staying in marinas you should be sure to get a Boat US membership
because some of the best places except it for a discount.

I'll make a point to try and cross paths with you somewhere. If you
want the local run down on anchorages there, I lived there for many
years and know most of them.

Danny Taddei

bob

Do the world a favor and dont cruise with kids. WE dont need vermin
like you destroying a otherwise wonderful cruising enviroment for the
rest of us.
I bet of you. stay home or go to chuckie cheese.
bob , friend to capt. neal and other like
minded sailors.