Default Some cruising pictures...

We've had a good year so far. Starting with Key West on New Year's
Day; St Pete Beach, Sarasota, and Long Boat Key in February; and more
recently in Long Island Sound, Cape Cod Islands and north eastern
Maine; we have covered over 3,000 miles as of this week. I've just
posted some new pictures for those who are interested, and tossed in a
few of the old pictures as well:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hoonos...lbum?.dir=bc89

Dan J.S.

" wrote in
message oups.com...
We've had a good year so far. Starting with Key West on New Year's
Day; St Pete Beach, Sarasota, and Long Boat Key in February; and more
recently in Long Island Sound, Cape Cod Islands and north eastern
Maine; we have covered over 3,000 miles as of this week. I've just
posted some new pictures for those who are interested, and tossed in a
few of the old pictures as well:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hoonos...lbum?.dir=bc89

Great stuff! What do you average in diesel consumption with your boat?

It depends on how fast you push it. At nice comfortable trawler speeds
of 8.5 to 9 kts we average about 1 gpm including generator time. At
full cruising speed of 10.5 to 11 kts, about twice that.

Dan J.S.

wrote in message
oups.com...
It depends on how fast you push it. At nice comfortable trawler speeds
of 8.5 to 9 kts we average about 1 gpm including generator time. At
full cruising speed of 10.5 to 11 kts, about twice that.

So your 3000 mile cruise probably cost you close to $6000 or so just in gas,
right? just trying to get some cost estimates. I am looking at a similar
boat, probably will not do as much cruising as you. Anyway, very nice pics!

To quote J.P. Morgan: "If you have to ask the price, you probably can't
afford it."

Unfortunate but true, but the cost of diesel is just the tip of the
iceberg as it turns out. Maintenance, moorage, dockage and dining out
once in awhile can easily be two or three times as much.

But who can put a price on happiness?

Larry

"Dan J.S." wrote in
:

So your 3000 mile cruise probably cost you close to $6000 or so just
in gas, right? just trying to get some cost estimates. I am looking at
a similar boat, probably will not do as much cruising as you. Anyway,
very nice pics!

My buddy's boss has a 160' megayacht with twin MTU 3500 HP diesels.....

Miami to Bermuda - 6,800 US gallons
Bermuda to Azores - they had to drop to 8 knots because the boat only held
10,000 gallons and they were running out in heavy seas... - 10,000 gallons.
Azores to Gibraltar - 8,400 gallons
Gibraltar to Monaco Boat Show - 6,400 gallons.
about $US2.75/gallon at big boat rates in foreign ports.

I promised him I wouldn't bit about paying $8 to go to our boat show next
year...(c;

VISA, Mastercard, Carte Blanche, AMEX..... "You want us to wash that
windshield for ya?"

I know, now, why the marina doesn't send out a pump guy to top off our 90
gallon tank on Lionheart unless we bitch at them on Ch 68....

--
Larry

My buddy's boss has a 160' megayacht with twin MTU 3500 HP diesels.....

...I know, now, why the marina doesn't send out a pump guy to top off our 90
gallon tank on Lionheart unless we bitch at them on Ch 68....

You know that you have really arrived in megayacht world when you no
longer have to go to the fuel dock at all. In major fueling ports like
New Bedford, Mass they will come out to your boat with either a small
or large fuel barge depending on your requirements. We watched a 200+
footer take on 40,000 gallons that way last month. The commercial
fishing boats that operate from New Bedford routinely take on thousands
of gallons at a time from the fuel barges.